Rearend advice needed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

74bowtie

Iam looking for the best fitting rearend for a 29 pickup. I am going fenderless for now but want the option of putting them back on. I also would like the rearend to be GM. So my question is what year and model would be the best width for a model A and suspension mods. If you have pictures all the better.

I've got a rearend out of a 55 chevy in the Model A and it measures 56" backing plate to backing plate. We run fenders and 2" offset wheels and it works good. Id say you would want to look for a chevy rear outta a mid 70's mid-size car, like chevelle nova ect. If goin with a ford 9" your best bet would be a early series bronco. They are around 56" at backing plates also and have equal length axles like the chevys do. Good luck in your search.

I looked over the chart donsrods put up on his post and I think I will use a rear out of a 69 Chevelle. Im glad that style rear will work because I have one already.
Thanks for the help everyone.

Hey Don,

I found a 9" thats in a 77 or so Tbird. I can get it for 120 bux but its around 63" from outside to outside according to the chart you provided.

Does that seem too wide? I have a 43" from back plate to back plate in it now. I think it is a 65 stang unit.

I have 14" wide wheels on it now but plan on some 10" later. T bucket style frame, no channel.

What do you think?

Last edited:
rearend

most of the guys around here try to find a maverick rear if they are going to run ford wheels. they are 8" gears & hold up very well if you don't abuse
them. if u they plan on runing chevy wheels they use a 69-72 nova
rear-10bolt. both are easy to find. the s-10 rear is getting popular also.
the maverick is most popular & sell for $75-$100 locally & plentiful for now.

If you are looking at Maverick rears they are listed at 56.5 inches. I have found that they are are not that width. They can also be 57 & 58 inches.

under my 29 chevy i am useing a s-10 rearend , 91 3.08 gears, its a little narrow and i am going to tub the fenders about 3 inches just for clearance, but also going to run wide tires 10in or 12in reverse wheels, the perches needd to be moved 1 inch out on each side,! this rearend only comes behind the 4.3 automatic trans 91 one and later as far as all the info i have found,, and is 48 inches fronm backing pate flange to backing plate flange!

Attachments

• DSC00103.JPG
    DSC00103.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC00104.JPG
    DSC00104.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC00105.JPG
    DSC00105.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 8
S10 rears are different widths for 2wd and 4wd. 4wd are about 4" wider. There are also a couple of differnet spline counts on the axles. 26 or 28 spline. Also a ZR2 rear end is an 8.5" ring gear and all of the others are a 7.5" varient

Latest posts

Back