remember HIGHWAY PATROL?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogpatch1

Do any of u guys or gals remember the t.v. show highway patrol? it originally aired befor i was born from 1955 to 1959 but i did watch several re-runs as a kid.

anyway i am accuiring a 1956 buick 4 door, and even though they used 1955 two doors i am thinking of making a highway patrol car out of it.(to take to billetproof michigan behind the orange crush'd rat rod i built). i think it would be cool to see a cruiser behind a ol style hot rod going up 75 or 23.

i am only gonna do it temporarily as i want to do a full custom later down the road on the buick, My question is are there any laws against making a police car replica of an old car like this? i plan on USING the bubble, siren, and spots (just not on the road) and lettering the doors just like the t.v. show, EXCEPT I THOUGHT ABOUT LETTERING... RATROD PATROL... instead of HIGHWAY PATROL, i also already have the old 2 way radio set up.

anyone have any exper. with this any help would be great thanks.. dp1

Attachments

• HPWallpaper02.jpg
    HPWallpaper02.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 26
  • BuickInDesert.jpg
    BuickInDesert.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 20
I remember Highway Patrol watched all the time. Brodric Crawford made a good cop.

A friend of mine has a cop car and was pulled over a few times. Seems they don’t like the light bar and door emblems here in Ohio. Threatened to ticket him if they saw him again.

Him now uses magnetic door emblems. Puts them and the light bar on after he gets to a show or cruse in. Of course that’s here in Ohio don’t know about Mich.

I know a fella up here in Ontario that has an old 54 Ford restored cop car. I've never heard him say he's had any problems drivin it around. I'm mean really come on, is there anybody that will take an old cop car seriously on the highway as far as impersonating a cop is concerned. :rolleyes:

My question is are there any laws against making a police car replica of an old car like this?

I am sure that impersonating a police officer must include the term reasonable believability somewhere in the statute. Unless someone was on a Acid Induced Flashback, I don't think they'd believe your 56 Replica to be real and would be Safe. I've seen Many Replicas in the past mostly Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane's and Sheriff Buford T. Justice's, But there have been and are MANY more.

I think it's a great idea and a sweet car to do it to. Just do it and let the cops harass if they will, if it's done well and in good taste I believe you'll be fine.

Most cops I know of are car guys too, and would probably just pull you over to get a better look at your ride!:D

I am sure that impersonating a police officer must include the term reasonable believability somewhere in the statute. Unless someone was on a Acid Induced Flashback, I don't think they'd believe your 56 Replica to be real and would be Safe. I've seen Many Replicas in the past mostly Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane's and Sheriff Buford T. Justice's, But there have been and are MANY more.

My thoughts exactly. I think there must be thousands of Mayberry cop car replicas. In fact I have found a 1960 that I am thinking I should paint that way. I think Andy had a 60 model in a couple of the first episodes.

I know a fella up here in Ontario that has an old 54 Ford restored cop car. I've never heard him say he's had any problems drivin it around. I'm mean really come on, is there anybody that will take an old cop car seriously on the highway as far as impersonating a cop is concerned. :rolleyes:

I did some glass work on a couple of old cruisers here in Ontario about 8 or 9 years ago. I remember one being a mid-seventies Biscayne and the other was an '81 Dodge St. Regis or Plymouth Gran Fury if I recall correctly. The guy said he was able to drive 'em to and from shows, but slapped on some kind of magnetic badging that said some to the effect of "show use only". So what part of Ontario is this '54 in ?

Latest posts

Back