Remember the drive-in?!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Well if you do... u're an old graybeard like me! This is the one I went to as teen. On Sat nite admission was $1 per carload. I drove a '57 Lincoln Capri hardtop... that sucker had a HUGE trunk & we'd sneak in all our pals! People would start laughin' when we popped the trunk & an small army of teen boys would pile out!
[P[P[P

I took this picture many moons ago B4 they tore it down!

BoB

Attachments

• thunderbird.jpg
    thunderbird.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 44
I remember like it was just a few days ago....cause it was. Still have a great drive-in operating here, the Georgetown Drive-in, in Georgetown, IN. Two screens, playground down in front for the kiddos, concession stand with all that good old, bad for you food. They switched over to fm stereo sound but still have a few old window speakers if you really want to go back. Gotta take the girlfriend there sometime, lived here her whole life and has never been.

My area has the the oldest drive in in America. Shankweiler's drive in. And it is still running. It open on April 15th 1934. It is actually the second oldest.

Check out there site, www.shankweilers.com

I spent a lot of time in local drive in back in high school. That was the thing to do on a Friday and Saturday night. At that time were was 6 of them locally and now there is only two left.

Yep, they were a big part of my childhood and teenage years :D The one in our little town was pretty cool as the screen was this huge narrow cinder block building. The guy who built/owned it had an office and workshop on the ground floor, some storage on the second floor and the third and fourth floor was pretty much a playground for his kids and their friends. It closed in the late seventies around the time I got married and was demolished in the early 90's. I managed to grab a few cinder blocks out of it and have them around here somewhere. There's actually still several of them still open here in the East.....couple within 45 min. to an hour of me. Saw one in New York state a few weeks ago that had two screens and was playing current titles. Lots of good memories at the drive in. :cool:

My area has the the oldest drive in in America. Shankweiler's drive in. And it is still running. It open on April 15th 1934. It is actually the second oldest.

Check out there site, www.shankweilers.com

I spent a lot of time in local drive in back in high school. That was the thing to do on a Friday and Saturday night. At that time were was 6 of them locally and now there is only two left.

Beside Shankweilers there are two others close by this area. Shankweilers is just north of Allentown (about 25 miles from where I live). Beckys is a little further north in the small town of Danielsville (about 15 miles away), and then there is the Mahoning Valley Drive In (about 3 miles away). I usually get to the local one at least once a year. Guess we're lucky around here to still have one let alone three of them

Our last one just closed down due to progress. A builder bought the land it was on to start a new development. With the economy the way it is its just sitting empty now. What a shame that kids wont get to experience the fun! I went past the one in Pennsylvania. What a cool looking place with its old style neon sign out front. Hope it hangs on!

i used to go to homestead, irvinington, eastex, cleveland, jenson, and even made the thunderbird afew times, those where the good ol days. i do belive i'm alittle younger then you as i was doing it in the 70's, i'm 50.[cl

Beside Shankweilers there are two others close by this area. Shankweilers is just north of Allentown (about 25 miles from where I live). Beckys is a little further north in the small town of Danielsville (about 15 miles away), and then there is the Mahoning Valley Drive In (about 3 miles away). I usually get to the local one at least once a year. Guess we're lucky around here to still have one let alone three of them

Forgot about the one in Mahoning valley. Beckys has an interesting history. And he use to sponsor our race car. The body to our Henry J is setting in the quarry behind the drive in.

Let's all go to the lobby, let's all go to the lobby, let's all go to the lobby, and have ourselves a treat!

Or in my family's case, Let's all hide in the trunky, let's all hide in the trunky, let's all hide in the trunky, so we can get in real cheap!

Miss those old drive ins, first movie I remember watching was at a drive in, Grease.

There are still 3 operating in the Dayton area. The Dixie Twin opened in 1957 and is still owned by the same family. Right up the road from my house -

01_81904_450.jpg

The Gratiot Drive in and the Mt. Clemens Drive in

Boy, this brings back memories..... Lost my ........ well let's just say that My 62 Chevy convert had a very comfortable back seat... ahhh Vicki.... wonder where she is now????? [S

Attachments

• a0000001^From_American_classic_images.jpg
    a0000001^From_American_classic_images.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 7
  • gratiot01a.jpg
    gratiot01a.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back