Reminder to check throttle linkage

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

42chevy

Rustier Rat Rodder
I have been slowly completing the swap of the Olds 455 into my '42 Chevy and took it out a couple weekends ago for the shakedown run. It was OK but not as fast as I hoped it would be. I went over why it was not more powerful and when I checked my throttle I found the cable was only opening the primaries on my Q-jet. I fixed that and WOW what a difference, got sideways this time getting on it. Just a reminder to check the simple stuff. I also painted my grille, it was black and I wanted some shiny on the front. I used Rustoleum mettalic finish and like the look. I did the rear bumper also. Tell me what you guys think.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 47
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 37
I like the look. Well, except for the crooked hood ornament!?! Wheels look fine to me.

Sits kinda high too... :p

Yep, it looks very good. Glad to see you found your culprit.

Almost 50 years ago I built a bugeye Sprite with a 302 Ford in it. Right after getting it running I had no front bonnet or windshield on it and the seats were just laid in place. A buddy and I were doing smokey burnouts and he looked at the Holley carb and said "Hey, your secondaries aren't opening !" So we made another pass and this time he leaned over the dash and pushed the secondaries open by hand after I got the car rolling. It was like an afterburner kicked in and he fell back from the acceleration and almost went into the trunk ! [cl

I found that I had installed the spacer plate under the carb upside down so it was not getting vacuum to kick them open. Turned it over and it was a different car altogether. Those small things can make a big difference.

Don

I do need to fix the hood ornament Sam, it is rusted on and I can't figure how to get it off to fix it. I took it for an out of town run just now, holy cow! It is very impressive now. I am having trouble manually shifting my TH400, it makes me let off before it will upshift. Otherwise sheer amazement at how fast I can get to 70 MPH. I have had the tires awhile and I do wish I had the letters turned in but I don't hate them enough to pay to reverse them. I like the grille being a contrasting color and it shines in the sun, not bad for $3.97. Thanks for the positive comments. I am very impressed with my stock smogger 455. I do have a better set of heads and a cam and intake swap in the distant future. I got the engine from an '76 Olds 98 for $700 and made back about $300 from parting it. A $400 engine that hauls and a spare trans also. All I did was gaskets and a timing chain and love the response. I adjusted the "air valves" on the Q-jet secondaries to get them to open better, that is an easy adjustment and no bog now.

Nice ride . I just traded for a 47 fastback like i need another project[;)

looking good, man[cl[cl

my brother always makes me check WOT (ability to reach wide open throttle from accelerator pedal) before we get to go for any "test flights";)

Very Nice 42.
Just a suggestion, if the tranny kick down is still attached to the carb, try unhooking it to see if that helps your manual up-shift.
With the 455 engine you may not need the kick down anyway.
If you want it to go into passing gear automatically, then you'll have to leave it hooked up.
Is your th400 kick down a rod or a cable? The rod kick downs have an adjustment screw at the carb for that and the cable ones have a slip collar to adjust.

Latest posts

Back