Repair a Badly Damaged Panel With Simple Tools Carter Auto Restyling

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hansgoudzwaard

Quote "In today's video we will be repairing all the dents in the roof panel and rear body panel on the 1953 Chevy Chicken Truck project. I will show how to remove dents on high crown panels, as well as badly damaged low crown panels. Then I will use the Proshaper shrinking disk to help level out the surface."

I skipped ahead bit by bit in places, but this was an interesting video. Maybe especially about the shrinking disk, because that's something of a more recent development, something I've heard of, but hadn't ever seen used. When I was working on the dents in the roof of my 46 Plymouth (someone had been on top of it at some point in its past), at first I wasn't planning to remove the headliner, and so I could only work from one side. I had it painted before I later pulled the head liner out, but had managed to get them all out except for one, where I collapsed the rim of the dent by working in one area too much (had to use some body putty there...). I was using glancing blows, working back and forth and around the dent, to "pull" the metal back up.

I have also more recently used this method on flat aluminum panels that were stretched during the process of punching a lot of small holes to form a ventilation area. (Not on a car, but on something else I was getting punched out on a turrent punch at a local farm machinery manufacturing plant.) In that case, I laid the panel (16 gauge aluminum) flat on a piece of heavy plywood, and alternated front-side and back-side, back and forth, to shrink the metal enough that it could lay flat again. I also had to work very carefully on this, because since the aluminum was not to be painted, I didn't want to mar the finish of the panel. (The area that was stretched was just around 3 5/8" diameter, with a whole slew of 3/32" holes, in a grid. Then a 92mm 12 VDC ventilation fan was mounted in this area. I suspect that aluminum stretches more under those conditions than would steel, but I wanted it unpainted, as well as the additional material thickness w/o the weight of steel, and steel would of course rust.)

Part 2: Fitting The Rear Roof Panel. 1953 Chevy Radical Custom.

Many notable points in this segment. This is one . A good video IMO.

Latest posts

Back