ride height

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demano

just purchased a 1929 ford tudor sedan with stock frame and the start of a custom frame that has a 3" z in front and a 8"z in the rear the sub frame has all been done to nest into the fabbed frame rails my question is if i go with the stock suspension and springs and say 15 " wheels any idea what the ride height might be, i would like it low but i can't figure what i will have, is there a way to use the z frame and lower it more if i have to, also the fabbed frame rails are only made of 2"x3" .125 tube is this strong enough for a small block ford and auto trans, as you can tell i am new to this and loaded with questions, thanks for any help with this

just purchased a 1929 ford tudor sedan with stock frame and the start of a custom frame that has a 3" z in front and a 8"z in the rear the sub frame has all been done to nest into the fabbed frame rails my question is if i go with the stock suspension and springs and say 15 " wheels any idea what the ride height might be, i would like it low but i can't figure what i will have, is there a way to use the z frame and lower it more if i have to, also the fabbed frame rails are only made of 2"x3" .125 tube is this strong enough for a small block ford and auto trans, as you can tell i am new to this and loaded with questions, thanks for any help with this

Few items you need to watch.

Scrub line, is important, especially if you are in a state that actually checks it and won't allow you to drive the car. IE, California doesn't seem to care. Scrub line if you don't know what it means.... well, basically that your car won't catch anything on the ground if your tire goes. Imagine it this way, set the car on just the four rims, no tires, what is now on the pavement? Anything other than the rims, if so, you violated the scrub line. My car, the grill shell hits when a tire is down, no tire, and pretty sure my frame would hit if the bags were down(photos here are with the bags all the way down).

How low you get with the frame matters both with the z of the frame and how big a perch you run up front if you are going suicide. My car has a really large perch which gets the front down pretty low. So if you want it lower, adjust your perch or your z.

You also should make sure you mount all your running gear above the frame, or build a really stout skid plate. I'm running a monster skid plate, and I feel it hit at gas stations, speed bumps, etc. That part of the car was done when we picked it up, personally I like how a friend builds all his so the frame is the first point of contact.

I don't remember what my z is, think it was 4 inches and 12 in the rear.

My frame is loosely based on Wescott's '32 blueprints from the web with a 3 1/2" Z in the front and 10" Z in the rear. I used a aftermarket front crossmember that lowers a '32 1" or an A 2". Speedway Super Bell 4" dropped axle kit w/2 leaves removed from the spring. 15" front wheels with not very tall tires. The point of the grille may violate the scrub line but I've never had any trouble with it.

As far as your tubing size, the 3" tall tubing may be a little springy, depending on your wheel base. Mine is only 14 ga wall but it is 5" tall.

Cordova_zps912cae0d.jpg

Blue

Latest posts

Back