Rust repair question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMP

All right guys I need some help. I have a 59 buick that has bubbles popping up in the rear fender lip. It is double walled there. If I cut it out and weld it I can't get to the back side to coat it to prevent it from rusting. How do I go about this. If I cut it out and weld do I grind the weld all the way smooth or leave a small amout of weld for strength. Again I can't get to the back side to weld. Am I making this too hard. It's going to be a nice custom and don't want to address this problem again in 5 years. Thanks TP

Is it rotted through?

If you cut it out.Clean and coat with POR-15.Then weld in your new patch and metal finish it.That should stop the rust.

George, this is part of the problem. It is double skinned and I can't por 15 the back of the mother metal. I think that I might can squirt some por down the back side of the fender tub from inside the trunk. Thanks TP

weld thru primer

they make a product called weld thru primer, you spray it on both sides of the material your using for a patch, then weld it in. and at least it will be prime'd. or is there anyway can you get back in there to spray( by drilling access holes and plugging them when ur done undercoating) dp1

How long did it take for the piece to rust out? About 50 years?? If so, it ain't like it's going to rust through again over night.

The rust will occur at the bottom of the panel where water and mud accumulate. So I'm thinking what DogPatch says is a good way to go. Drill the access holes in the backside (as big as you can get that you can close w/ a rubber plug (like a solid rubber grommet), run a hose or tube that is tied to your paint sprayer inside the access holes to the bottom of the panel where stuff would accumulate and spray the snot out of it as you work the hose back and forth. Probably better if you had a rigid line of some sort.

Yep...Weld-Thru Primer. That's what I use when doing patches in rear quarter, rockers, or other areas where I can't get at the back.

Not sure how your cavity is set up, but my thinking is if you drill a few holes in the trunk side to treat the back of the body panel and then weld the holes up when done, at least the small untreated weld is on the trunk panel side not the body panel. Am I making sense to anyone besides me?...

Latest posts

Back