Rustbucket49's 1928 Model "A" Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustbucket49

I'm working on getting this heap. It has been on our place since it was bought in the 1920's. Converted to a "pick-up" back in the war. Used to be a touring sedan. I am thinking about replacing the wood bed w/ a decent bed, channeling a bit, lowering and trying to get the 4 banger going again. This is the one that got my hand slapped on another website for mentioning the "RR" idea !! :) It really hurts me to see this thing deteriorate to nothing....

I would really appreciate some ideas / pictures / stories of what to do with this.

Attachments

• DSC00166.JPG
    DSC00166.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC00163.JPG
    DSC00163.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC00169.JPG
    DSC00169.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC00167.JPG
    DSC00167.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC00168.JPG
    DSC00168.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 67
Looks to be a good start. Maybe just redesigning the flatbed could be an option. And redoing the 4 banger with some early performance stuff. Would be a cool throw back rod. Rat even :D

Looks to be a good start. Maybe just redesigning the flatbed could be an option. And redoing the 4 banger with some early performance stuff. Would be a cool throw back rod. Rat even :D

I kinda have to agree here. That would be awesome with the flatbed "repaired" and some vintage speed parts. Of course I`d have to leave mother natures "paint job" for the ultimate rat look.:D Add a set of WW`s on steelies, just please don`t paint`em red.:D

Actually, I am warming up more to the idea of leaving the wood bed on it. Back during WWI people would convert their cars to pick-ups as part of the war effort. I may leave it like this as a "tribute" to that time. I want to get the wires blasted and redone - perhaps wrap w/ some WWW...

What about the frame, think I should drop it?? I am not familiar w/ the correct process - I presume a dropped front axle and Z the back ??? If so, how much?

They rationed gas during the war and trucks were alloted more than cars so these conversions were common. There is a 1 ton model t locally that is in worse shape than that one. It is updated with power disc brakes and hopped up 4 banger. Original wood, what is left of it. Draws a crowd cruise nites at
the drive-in. When he leaves he chirps the tires in second gear (on wooden rims). :D Cheap and fun

They rationed gas during the war and trucks were alloted more than cars so these conversions were common. There is a 1 ton model t locally that is in worse shape than that one. It is updated with power disc brakes and hopped up 4 banger. Original wood, what is left of it. Draws a crowd cruise nites at
the drive-in. When he leaves he chirps the tires in second gear (on wooden rims). :D Cheap and fun

Pictures??

Fast forward a couple of months... I gave up on the possibility of getting this Mdl "A" because my cousin has title to it (which is a long story in itself) and said he wasn't selling. However, I got an email from him this week and he changed his mind - now agreed to sell it.

For some reason I can't find my balls right now, so haven't bellied up to the bar yet. I'll probably pull the trigger, but gotta find a place to put it. Also I have to find those balls again to ask my wife - this may be the last message I send on R3 - been good knowing you guys if my wife reacts - uh.... what's the word..... oh yeah, ****ed, and starts throwing frying pans. ;)

Get it before your cousin changes his mind again. Looks like it's practically ready to drive, just needs new tires and a few odds and ends. STILL RAN WHEN PARKED. :D

Latest posts

Back