Rusted out dash

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junker39

I just need some ideas as to what to do with this dash top. I need to cover it with something to help keep the hot breeze from blowing thru. I was thinking about some thick leather or similar. I need some different thinking here. My bright ideas usually don't work out. Thanks.

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 103
I would cut out the rusty part and weld in new metal......or cut out the rust and cover some ply wood with leather, just some cheap fixes. You really need to cut out the rust, you can't just cover it with thick leather.

From the pic...

looks like you have a fairly good line of metal from that lip down..cut off the top and should be easy to put in new metal for top with minimal fab work...or as was stated....make it a wood top covered in fabric / leather/ vinyl.....or whatever suits you....a few well placed angle brakets at the rear of the good metal should support the wood....jmho....:D

OK, some different thinkin'.. :D
Scrape off the barnacles, tape the underside and smear the topside with with a healthy layer of long fiber glass strand bondo (Kitty Hair). If you don't like sanding, top it with some regular bondo and when its just about set, go over it quickly with a textured roller for a funky finish. Tape the edges before you start so they clean up easily, scuff off the dingleberries and squirt on some flat black.:cool:
Or just glue on a chunk of astro turf or carpet...

Thanks for the ideas. I believe carpet would be the best idea. Indoor-outdoor. I got to looking at it and maybe I need to get a new windshield in before doing anything. I may have to bondo it in, the way it looks at the bottom. And the cheapest windshield I've found is over 200 bucks. There sure isn't any used ones around here. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back