S-10 Frame Front Susp ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakota

Rides a rusted horse
Here's what I got in the works:

39 Dodge pick up on an S-10 frame.
Sideways 4 cyl, front wheel dr engine/trans, in the shortened bed. (ENGINE/TRANS IN THE BED.)

Here's the problem:

What can I do about the front springs/shocks. The original sits too high and is too stiff. I'll have the radiator, gas tank, and battery mounted under the hood. Total weight on the front tires will be around 400 LBS
Any suggestions for a softer front end?...They tell me they don't make front air shocks for an S-10.

Interesting project. I've been wondering about the uses of some FWD donors. Theres so many out there any more, and some are pretty hot, It'd be interesting to use one in a rat. Got any pics?

LFE over on KB has a Rat PU with a rear engine setup, and he had to add a bunch of weight in the front to get the truck to act right. Seems a shame to add weight though..

You might look into air bag suspensions to soften up your S-10. My youngest son does mini trucks and has his bagged all the way around.

PA41

My first thoughts are to check into RR cars like Porsche, VW Beetle, etc. and see how they run. Heck all the Formula cars are rear engine, so look at that stuff. As for the S-10 suspension, there is a guy on here goes by CynideJello that is big on s-10 suspensions might PM him, and there are a few VW rats that might help with suspension set up later on. That rear engine stuff handles a lot different than front engine!

Just changing shocks probably won't do it. The stock springs have got to be way too stiff now. You'll need to find lighter springs. Maybe rear coils out of a front wheel drive car or something?

Just some rambling thoughts....:)

Go to Speedway Motors, you can buy racin springs that have a softer rate than stock. Metric frame cars like cutlass, monte,etc run the same suspension. Might be able to find used racin springs at a swap meet, usually go for $15. You can get lowered spindles if your lookin to get it in the weeds.

go to airbagit.com they sell the brackets and bag you need (know it for a fact) I built a 88 S10 with a rear engine V8 used a kit w/rear shockwaves use to carry the front for the 1/8th or better and sub10.90s on the stock motor

airkewld.com uses a air shock for the front of their beetle kits that you may be able to adapt to the stock shock location of the s-10.

Try suicidedoors.com
They deal mostly with s10 stuff and have killer deals on air bags from time to time...I am building an 89 for my oldest son and I have seen alot of guys around here run a bagged front end with all the stock arms.....have to make new shock mounts though.

RE:s10 spring dilema

If you have a local bone yard that will let you look around try finding some of the cars that used struts on the rear and see if you can find something close to your o.d. and trim them down with a die grinder till you get the ride height that you want. Don't use a torch it will take the temper out of the spring

Just got thinking about this post the other night. Lakota, you might want to check out the front end of a Pontiac Fiero, if you can find one at the boneyard. The front suspension on those is quite similar to other GM short-long arm and the springs might just work. Especially since they are for a mid-engine car, the weight bias should be about the same.

Regards,
Shea:)

Fiero front suspensions are basically the same as a Chevette. There are Fiero enthusiast sites that have handling parts for those suspensions. Been looking at them myself

Try suicidedoors.com
They deal mostly with s10 stuff and have killer deals on air bags from time to time...I am building an 89 for my oldest son and I have seen alot of guys around here run a bagged front end with all the stock arms.....have to make new shock mounts though.

YES!!! go to suicidedoors.com. The first trucks they started to make parts for is the s10. everything about there producs and work is A+. i bagged my 92 with there tube control arms. a little high on the price but when i aligned it it was perfect with 1/2 of shims on both sides.

if you want to keep stock arms they have everything you need on the site to set up for air ride.

if you want to go static tons of companys offer drop spindles and springs to get you low and soft.

i would go to s10forums.com and look at the suspension section. alot of info on there.

Latest posts

Back