S-10 frame take a cummins?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiff

I'm looking at a 40 Fargo that's setup on a S-10 frame. I plan on dropping my 12v cummins in the truck. How stout are these S-10 frames? should I just build my own frame?

Welcome to RRR.

The Cummins weighs 975lbs, (more than twice the weight of a 2.8 or 4.3 V6) it'll crush an S10 front end, period.

Tell us more about your plans. Fenderless?

Pictures of a '40 Fargo and an introduction would be nice, too. ;)

I figured as much. I'm well aware the cummins is much heavier than the S-10 factory motors, I guess I may hack up the stock cummins frame or build my own.

I don't own the truck yet, trying to work a deal. My 12v has a pretty stout build with a built up 5spd behind it. I want to try my hand at some serious metal work, so a chop and section would be in the works. Probably go fenderless, but that's cart before the horse.

I have a similar plan. Originally I was all hot on my "RatstoMod" idea, and I was going to build this killer 5.9 Cummins and a ProStreet type frame with all the fancy stuff liek youd see from Art Morrison or something. I called them, and the guys scoffed at my idea, saying even the good spindles they used would cripple under the 1000# of the 'ole inline-six 5.9.

I have a 93 2500 Dodge, ext. cab, long box, 2wd, automatic, it was to be the donor for my project. Engine, Trans & Rear end, with the drive shaft coming along for the ride after being trimmed to suit whatever wheelbase I decided would fit the CC-SBX dimensions.

I have since decided to utelize the frame from the 2500 to some extent, still going to strip it down to the rails and hack off any unnecessary luxuries, but will at least use the major portions aside from the rear suspension where I'll go with a trick-ish 4-bar or something.

Any thoughts on this?

cummins

I am planning a similar build. I have a super solid 46 dodge bros. Cab. I saw a truck with a 12v in it over the weekend. I was so concerned about the frame specs I didn't think about spindles and front end. He had a 4" drop axle I believe. Any ideas on a frontend that will hold up to that weight.

If you're building a fenderless rat, you can deduct all the front sheetmetal weight from your frontend, so that helps offset the Cummins weight some. Also the placement of the engine can help too, since most typical (is there such a thing ?) rods will place the engine back from the front axle centerline - whereas in the pickup the Cummins comes out of places it right over the axle centerline.
In light of those factors, something like a 55-59 Chev pu front axle should be more than capable, it has a 4" drop too. 3/4 or 1 ton axles would be heavier though you'd need to re-drill the hubs for 5 lug wheels.
There are a bunch of guys out there with Cummins engines in their rods as well as other heavy engines. Bendtsens Model A comes to mind, running a flattie V12 from a Seagraves firetruck, and they are well over 1000 lbs - he's running a drop axle, forget just what it's from.

Latest posts

Back