s-10 rac??????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopper tom

Way too young to be a hippy!
You guys ever seen an s-10 sub with a front steer rac -n-pinon used instead of the coventional stuff???????like some pic's if possible!!!!!!

Hey chopper tom. I did that same thing just a few years ago on a 41' ford coupe that I channeled down over a 96' S-10 chassis. Of course I back-halved it, and went with a 4 link, but that is a different story. I will try to find some pictures on one of the many cd's my wife made off of our old computer before we got a new one. I have just never taken the time to load everything back up. Anyways, this is how I did it. I took two pieces of solid shaft that was I believe 1 1/2" in diameter, and approx. 12" in length. Took both of them to machine shop, and had one end of each shaft drilled and tapped, for what size thread, I don't remember. I think the bolts were 1/2".
As for the rack, try to stay with a gm, as that way most of them have the correct tapered tie rod ends to fit your stock S-10 spindles. I used either a cavalier, or a beretta. I measured where would be a good spot to mount the shafts front to rear on the crossmember, drilled a pilot hole with a long drill bit from the front side of the crossmember to the rear. That way, I could get a perfect hole on both sides. Then I took the correct size hole saw, and went through all 4 holes, slid both shafts in the 2 holes, welded them front and back, cut off the excess off the back, and then took a piece of 2" heavy duty angle iron, cut it long enough to be longer then the measurement between the two studs on the rack, and then drilled the correct hole pattern to mount the rack to the angle iron, and the angle iron to the two solid shafts now welded in the crossmember. Also, as you can tell, I am very bad about overkill, but I have always leaned on the side of safety. I was actually able to find two bolts that fastened the angle iron to the crossmember in a grade 13, or grade 16, I can't quite remember which. Again, overkill. I don't know if any of this makes sense to you or not, but it worked really good for my 41' as the stock gearbox takes up a lot of precious space up there. I will try to find the pics and either post them, or send them to you. Daron.

Latest posts

Back