S10 and other "late model" cab builds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sims426

Ive been seeing a lot more guys using late model trucks to build rods and fenderless trucks, and I think with some work they can look good. Ive seen some that look good and others not so much. I hope this doesnt turn into another argument thread about why you should or should not build this or that. Just wanting to show people that with some work and ingenuity you can build anything. The orange truck and gray truck i have seen in person and really like the styling. The gold truck i dont really care for, but I think thats where a lot of this started. The green truck was in a mag a while back and is pretty cool.

Attachments

• IMG_3850.jpg
    IMG_3850.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1833.jpg
    IMG_1833.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_3401.jpg
    IMG_3401.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 355337_1000.jpeg
    355337_1000.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 1324189172_118200663032pm19371.jpeg
    1324189172_118200663032pm19371.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 169
  • 1324189172_0926091056.jpeg
    1324189172_0926091056.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 1324189172_0926091053.jpeg
    1324189172_0926091053.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 183
  • 67ratrod.jpeg
    67ratrod.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 180
ehhh they are ok, probably not something I would do either. Everyone has their own ideas, I just don't like the unfinished look for the most part....

late models still have to meet the safety requirements of the original vehicle. It is a whole lot easier to build to 1948 standards than 2005 (or whatever late model you pick)

some

l like the gold one, some look nice, others look like an abomination.[;)

the "work with what ya have" syndrome is why l seen these style builds or they claim no budget and the cab was free.

l don't believe the "can't find an old cab" line. if you want it bad enough and look on all the web sites and in yards ya can find something older. l know, on my limited budget l find stuff all the time, in fact l have ran out of room to store all the old cars & trucks l find for nothing or very little cash and /or trade.

again, no stress or argument stuff here, just good people expressing there opinions and for the most part, getting along.:D

Later :cool:

I have a 98 S-10, and used to ask my wife if I can cut it up, like when I think she's not listening to me. My idea was to make it into a roadster. I was thinking of grafting about 6 - 8 inches of the rear of the bed onto the rear of the cab, then also use a frame from an extended cab PU, push the cab back so the rear of the standard cab would line up with where the rear of the extended cab had been, then use pieces of the fenders and hood to extend the cowl that extra distance. I'd hide the master cylinder and all that unsightly jazz in that space. Ideas are cheap, though - actually building it is an entirely different deal.

I have a 95 s10 ext. Cab my dad bought new and ive spent several hours thinking of cutting it up and building a rod out of it (it now has 230+ thousand miles on it and has had a long life but ill never sell.) The shape and lines could resemble a 32 ford car with the trunk cut off. I even threw a drawing together a few months back. The only thing i really altered was leaning the windshield posts forward and lowering the roof. Also like you said use part of the fenders and hood to make a cowl area.
Here

Attachments

• jeff 318.jpg
    jeff 318.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 66
My biggest thing that I don't find appealing is an IFS without fenders. For some reason it just looks wrong, like they couldn't come up with anything else and just stopped there.
But, like EnglishBob said, I do appreciate all of the work and vision that someone can put into a project like those. I'm not that comfortable with my skills yet. And I have no vision. If I find something I think I'll have Tripper draw something up for me, he has a good eye for the kind of stuff I would like to build.

Havent seen the guy for a few months but if hes there this weekend ill snap more pics and talk to him about joining the board.

Take the S10, put an older body on it and call it the older vehicle.

It is fun to fab something different, but if popo won't let you drive it, what's the point?

i dont like 70's 80's trucks period
i think they are ugly.
and thats how it should be
viva la difference![cl

Ive talked to the owner/builder of the gray s10 and he has had no issues with the police. Its still registered as such but yeah i have heard of people having problems.

Hi Everyone

I gotta say this...S10's ride great...parts are plentiful...fenderless...yes I agree you gotta hide the front suspension...the older S10's had a cool old steel bumper which if left in place hides a lot...
There was a fellow on here (couple years ago now) I think that was rebuilding a late mid 70's Ford pickup truck and he chopped and narrowed and dropped too....it had a checkered flag on the firewall too...actually once you narrow those cabs up they dont look all that bad...I am thinking it was fenderless too...

My 2 cents...for what it is worth...

MikeC

Build what ya want, how ya want. Not everyone will like it tho. Just be able to handle the negative criticism that you may get from building out side of the box.

They are not my hot rod of choice but its your decision on what ya build.

I hope to start building my older s10 soon. I snagged dimensions ford a 1932 ford truck to go off of when narrowing, and shortening the cab. May end up sectioning too, just not sure yet. I like the gray one a lot but what i intend to do is taper from the rear of the cab forward and also run a lift off one-piece hood/grill, and a small bed as well. We'll see, dont want to get my hopes up too much about building yet incase it doesnt get started soon.

Latest posts

Back