s10 t-5 conversion

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycledog

A really rusty biker
I have an adapter for an s10 t-5 to go in my 55 Stude. Not being a tranny expert I need to know if all these are the same and are the s10 Blazers the same as the 2 wd trucks.

I realize there were probably some improvements over the years. But if they are the same otherwise I will know what to look for. The Stude only has a 185 flat 6 so strength will not be an issue.

Thanks for the help.

2wd Blazers and S10 pickups should be the same, 4cyl T5's are the weakest, V6 ones may be better, of course Camaro V8 t5's are stronger, Mustang is the same. A big issue is the shifter mount for your swap, several different locations are available, S10 is probably the farthest forward (or is it farthest back?), Camaro at the opposite end.

I just put a T5 from a 92 S-10 in my 52 Dodge pickup. The one I used was from a V6. There is a chart on-line that shows what the different models have for gear ratios as they very. The S-10 version has the shifter more in the middle of the trans, while one in the Camero or Mustang have it at the end of the tail shaft. There are about 200 different versions of the T-5, so there is a lot of variation in input shaft length and gear ratios. Also, S-10's came with either a speedo gear drive or an electronic pickup, I am not sure the year, but my '92 version had the electronic version. I was able to use a universal electronic speedometer from Autometer. Later S-10's, when they did the body change from the square one (93 or 94?) used a different trans. I was able to find 2 transmissions on Craigslist for $100 each, so they are not that hard to find.
http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Borg-Warner-T5-ID-Tags.htm

Latest posts

Back