safty glass???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegasus

i talked to state highway patrol and they said i might need safty glass in my rat rod? any 1 ever deal with this??

I know just enough about glass to prove, I don't know much. I think safety glass has the laminate in the middle and the glass is designed to break into small pieces. I put a large window in the bathroom and it is hardened or tempered. I think it is just harder and stronger than normal window glass.
What kind of glass are you using and for what?

I think it depends on individual state laws, and some require DOT safety glass for the windshield, ( usually windshield only). Your local auto glass supplier will have more details.

i talked to state highway patrol and they said i might need safty glass in my rat rod? any 1 ever deal with this??

You definately need safety glass in your car or truck!!! It's for your own protection as well as your passengers... Safety glass when broken,will not fly apart in large deadly projectiles like regular glass! It will stay stuck and break into very small pieces and fall to the floor where they can't harm anyone...I don't think any reputable glass shop would even consider cutting regular glass for your windows, if they did you should find someone else!!!!!...CR

safety glass

Well, glass happens to be something I know about.I worked in the glass business for 9 yrs doing resident,commercial, and auto glass. The windshield is always laminated safety glass! This means that there is a sheet of plastic sandwiched between two sheets of glass to form 1/4'' thickness. The side windows and rear windows are norm. tempered glass, which means it has been heat treated to break into tiny little pieces so not to cut you up with slivers or knife shaped pieces. Most old cars have flat glass in all locations untill the curved windshield came into the picture and all of this can be cut to fit with laminate glass.You CAN NOT cut tempered glass!! You can cut laminated !

My 52 says "ford safety glass" on the windows and there is a big long crack going down the drivers side but its still in 1 piece

Most all safety glass I've ever seen will have it labeled somewhere in the lower right hand corner. It'll say tempered or safety glass. If your still not sure. there's always the hammer test! Just wear eye protection!

Thunder

Like everyone says MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SAFETY GLASS. Imagine what could happen if you didnt have it.

I got mine from a local window/table shop for $150 cut and installed, i just had to supply the rubber. They used a smoke tinted safety glass normally used for table tops. I opted for this not only because it looks cool, but it really helps when the sun hits the flat glass windshield.

Never cheap out on safety

ford trucks until around 1965 had safety glass in the side glasses and rear glass as well......DOT regs. and safety stuff like that caused them to change (everybody did-not just ford) to the "tempered" glass on the sides and rear
-the tempereed is what some call "hardened" nothing but "jiblets" when it breaks actually it "shatters" with no huge shards to gouge you

your 52 has -i am certain-safety glass on all 4 sides unless somebody has changed it, which is unlikely

BTW i just had a local glass shop cut me 4 pieces--2 for my windshield, and 2 side glasses all laminated (safety) glass using my old glass for patterns, the 4 pieces only cost $120 plus tax--which, to me was pretty reasonable...

Being a retired Fire fighter and rescue tech and a Rescue instructor I will give me 2 cents.

Most car from the later 50s to present have laminate safety glass in the windshield and some have rear windows that are also laminate glass.

The side windows are tempered glass. but some newer vehicles have polycarbonate glass in the side or rear windows.

most older vehicles have Laminate safety glass on all of the windows. Some of the real old vehicle could have just plain glass in them.

Laminate glass has two pieces of glass with a plastic sheet sandwich between then. Some can have a second piece of plastic on the outside of the inside piece of glass. factory glass must have a DOT approved marking on it.

Laminate glass if you look at the edge of it you can see a thin line in the center of it. That is the plastic that holds the two pieces of glass togather, This glass is design that when it breaks it with break just like plain glass but the plastic will keep it in place so that the large pieces of glass will not fly around. If you do come in comtact with this glass you can be cut.

Tempered safety glass is treated glass that is desing to break into small pieces with not or every little sharp edges. This glass can fly around when broken but is design not to cut you when you come in contact with it.

Tempered safety glass, if you look at the edge of it, the edge with looked like it been sanded or grand, Factory tempered glass most also have DOT approved markings on it.

Polycarbonate glass is a hard plastic type glass that is design to take hard contact with out breaking. These are now being used in side windows and rear windows in some vehicles. There is talk about starting to use it for windshields. This glass most also have approved DOT markings on it.
\

17 years of auto glass here......

safety glass.......laminated ..2 pieces of glass with pollycarbonate sheet between the glass

tempered glass....glass that has been heated almost to its melting point then flash cooled....causing it to be "in tension"..

safety glass will crack .....but not fall into pieces....
tempered will shatter"popcorn" into millions of small pieces....

all w/shields are laminated....basically designed to keep you ugly a#$ in the car when you hit the w/shield in a collision.....:D

tempered glass was designed to help lesson the amount of weight in the car..tryin to save gas anyway they can...it also was considered to be safer in the event of a roll over"where the doors wont open the glass can be broke or will break amd fall away"....plus in the event the car is submerged......you can break the glass and excape...

laminated glass will say "SAFTEY GLASS" on it
tempered will say "TEMPERED"

any glass shop can cut laminated glass for you with your old glass as a pattern....
or fthey can cut some plate glass and send it off to be tempered.....

i have done alot of glass in the old stuff around here and replaced the side glass with tempered......smoked glass:D

Just got my windshield cut from my local town glass shop...1/4" laminated safety glass...$32.00!!! I just made a pattern out of some 1/4" thick hardboard..trial fitted it into my chopped windshield frame...gave them the pattern...24 hours later glass was in the frame and mounted on car!! I am still running the 80 year old door glass (plate glass)...will upgrade that down the road if I end up keeping the car. My rear window and rear side windows are 1/4" lexan.

Wow ... lots of traffic on this one ....... AS1 laminated safety glass is for windshields ( by law here, anyway) but you can use AS2 laminated safety glass in all other areas if so desired.

Latest posts

Back