SBC Valve cover identification

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbasch

Bought me an old barn find yesterday, 67 Chevy II 327 4 speed hardtop and it has some very unique valve covers, maybe just to me but I have never seen any others and didn't find any exactly like them searching online last nite, wanted to see if anyone here know what they were and if they were worth much to anyone in the ratrod scene, the vents are larger than most I have seen and farther away from the cover, there are no filler holes etc any help would be great, sorry for ****ty picture, only had my phone on me
327vc.jpg

So, do you want to sell them? I'm interested...

...if they have no fill holes, you have to run them with an early intake that has an oil filler tube...

Let me know...

Yea, it has an old Holley intake with front filler tube, I am considering selling them but want to know what I have first, I can't find any like them, thought they were Offenhauser but don't have enough fins and vents are different, haven't pulled them to check casting on inside yet

if anyone knows what they are, where they came from, and wants to buy them it is dragfink. He spotted and knew the front cover I had. [cl

if anyone knows what they are, where they came from, and wants to buy them it is dragfink. He spotted and knew the front cover I had. [cl

Haha! Thanks man!...they sorta look like Cal Customs, but, there were ALOT of copies back then, and, it's really hard to be certain from that pic...

...there were several distinguishing characteristics between brands : number of fins, if the fins went over the edges all the way to the gasket rail, or stopped on top, rounded or squared off fins, if the fins on the outer edges were interupted by the bolt indents or not, etc...

...and not all valve covers manufacturers had their name cast into the back side.
I blew up the pic that nbasch posted, and while it's still hard to see, they resemble Keystone & Moon covers, but, with 6 uninterupted fins, they're probably Cal Customs...

They were pulled and there is no casting mark inside or out that I saw, I will try and get better pics Sunday when I give the Nova a bath

these are 60's style cal customs....

They were pulled and there is no casting mark inside or out that I saw, I will try and get better pics Sunday when I give the Nova a bath

pictured on a 327 engine not sure if this helps...

Attachments

• 327_500x500.jpg
    327_500x500.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 12
That looks identical to what I have except that they have the breathers on the sides of each, no cast marks though

Valve covers

If they are real cal-customs they will have the Cal-Custom logo inside if not they are repops.:cool:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 6
If they are real cal-customs they will have the Cal-Custom logo inside if not they are repops.:cool:

...unless they're early Cal Customs. The first ones were sand cast with the outer fins being interrupted by the bolt holes. The later ones were all diecast which had the part numbers inside them and un-interrupted fins...

Latest posts

Back