SBF Timing Tab?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadanimal

Ok,

So I got a 302 block in my 51 and it has no timing marks, tab, ect... on it anywhere.
I have tried to look them up on summit, jegs, ect... with no luck. plenty for chevy!

Can anyone tell me what is up with that?

how the heck do you time a SMF other than by mechanically setting it then the drive, adjust, drive method.'

Use the 'Top Dead Center' method,.... pull #1 plug, screw in piston stop, locate TDC and then afix a pointer, then mark your harmonic balancer with a radiused edges file. Paint your balancer black and dob some bright colored paint on your freshly made groove.
Don't use tapes as the oils and you pressure washing you motor will allow it to come off.
Then....you can bolt on your tab and align it to the TDC mark...
....IF you can't find a bolt on scale, which you should, you can pick up a cheap harmonic balancer tape, using it as reference, make some lines on your Harmonic balancer. Get out the radiused edged file agian and mark your lines. Do as before....dob some bright paint in the grooves, now you have timing reference lines to use your timing light!.
I always do this while the motor is on the stand or degree-ing in a cam. Alot of harmonic balancers are off because when reved, the rubber ring will allow the hub to move in relation to the outter hub.
:cool:

Can't help ya, but I feel your pain. Maybe scout a junkyard?

I was recently trying to time a 4.3L and finally figured out there are two separate timing marks on the damper about 60 degrees apart! Another WUWT?!

Yeah, I got the TDC and all that good to go but can't locate a tab to bolt on and of course I did not find one in a parts yard before I left the states. I'm now in the UK and SBF are not so common here...
Got to love it. I think I can get away with the maximum advance without pinging till I figure something else out..

There are three different pointers for the small block 302. The early ones had a pionter cased right in the timing chain cover on the left side about 1 oclock. Later the pointer were bolt on. There was one a 1 oclock on the right side and one a 1 oclock on the left side. The third one that was used in van was on the bottom. The point for the left and right will bolt on the bottom two bolt of the timing chain cover.

If you know the year of the motor and the part number of the balancer I may be able to help you out. or get the motor up on top dead center, cylinder number 1 and see were 0 is on the balancer, There are some co. making some nice bolt ones for the small block ford.

There are three different pointers for the small block 302. The early ones had a pionter cased right in the timing chain cover on the left side about 1 oclock. Later the pointer were bolt on. There was one a 1 oclock on the right side and one a 1 oclock on the left side. The third one that was used in van was on the bottom. The point for the left and right will bolt on the bottom two bolt of the timing chain cover.

If you know the year of the motor and the part number of the balancer I may be able to help you out. or get the motor up on top dead center, cylinder number 1 and see were 0 is on the balancer, There are some co. making some nice bolt ones for the small block ford.

Yea Hot40Rod, I was trying to steer him in that direction....use a bolt on scale with the marks you put on your harmonic balancer and your good to go. So....do it...
:cool:

Chevy, ford, mopar, amc....get a scale thats close and use it for reference. YOUR NOT USING IT FOR A DIAL INDICATOR OR FOR A VERNIER SCALE ON A SET OF CALIPERS! Bolt it on and line it up!:cool:

Yeah,
I figured that is what I was gonna have to do. Just put my own marks, But Like I said I can't seem to even find a bolt on pointer though. I guess I'm searching in the wrong places via the net...

Get a small piece of stainless steel welding rod, get your needlenose pliers and a vise, and make a little 0 one one end. On the other end, grind it to a point. Go by hardware store, pick up (2) stainless washers. Find hole close to harmonic balancer.
Once you've lined your motor up on TDC again, put the piece on sandwiched between the ss washers and bend the pointed end to your harmonic balancer mark that you made earlier.......wala.......a timing pointer.
Or, get a piece is sheetmetal that is ss, and make a pointer outta that.

If you can't find it.....make it. Adapt and over come!!!! Call when it positively, absolutely has to be Ratted overnite! [cl We havin' fun yet? [P

Roger that! Still getting my garage set up to actually do some work out of! It's even more fun using transformers and burning S&!t up!
It will just be fun crawlin up under there to get good measurements if I mak a nice piece. the throttle bracket for the cable was way easier being on top...

Latest posts

Back