School me on Ford truck front axles... Please?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bell

I am considering using a F-100 straight axle in my build. What are the differences in them as far as years? Are there different widths? Steering configurations?

Also, what is the approximate width of them? WMS to WMS...

As far as I can tell, they used a similar axle from the 50's through 1964.... but I would like to know if there were any differences, or if one was better than the others.

I will probably use the drum brakes, but... are there disc brake kits available, and are parts (ie: king pins, bearings, brake shoes) readily available for them?

I'm going for a STRONG and old looking setup and it looks like one of these axles will fit the bill nicely.

Thanks for any and all input, JB

57-64 are the same axle. Not sure, but I think the F250 uses the same axle for those years also, but with a 11" brake instead of a 10". The 62 had a funky dual cylinder set up that you can't get replacements. Any of them can be converted to disc - which I highly recommend. ECI is where I got my kit, but I think Speedway sells them, along with others.

disc brake conversions

Check out SCAREBIRD for cheap disc brake conversions.
I bought his stuff...very nice and cheap too

Latest posts

Back