Scratch Building a Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a shot of the compressor heads I bought

Attachments

• HPIM5131.jpg
    HPIM5131.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 32
Man, I can't get over how much you get done....!!

you're jumping around on projects from carpentry to a scratch build rod...I give you a ton of credit man....those compressors look good...will they run on a 3hp single phase motor? Or do they need the big 5hp ones?

My brother ran both at the same time with the same Motor he staggered the heads to work all in the same rotation. I have a 5 horse motor and a 2 horse motor from another 2 piston compressor. i will try the 2 horse 1st and see what goes. I needed to get the ceiling done it was on my list of goals for this year. It will be history soon. The only tool I have that needs more CFM is my sprayer Binks #7. All the others I ran of a sears pull around 1/2 horse job. Most of my tools are electric I cant stand the noise from air tools at all. Even with ear protection the high pitched whine bothers me. Ill have my 2.3 turbo engine soon then I can get back to the metal work.

Last edited:
I was notified that the Merkur engine is being readied for removal, So I took my camera over and took a few photos of the hoses and wiring set ups so I can use the photos to help me set mine up properly. Good weather brings good things. Wont be too long now.

Attachments

• HPIM5135.jpg
    HPIM5135.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 11
  • HPIM5134.jpg
    HPIM5134.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 10
  • HPIM5133.jpg
    HPIM5133.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 10
one more and i should be able to guess the other stuff.

Attachments

• HPIM5132.jpg
    HPIM5132.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 10
Blind spot

I think its better than some 'ive seen i mean beefier for the roof collapsing easily. I can live with it It wont have a blind spot because i have the drivers window that is close to the pillar. I can see around it from where I sit. I thought about it when I was fabricating it I sat inside and thought it was going to be okay. I have a van that is worse hehe
>> The blind spot actually came in handy for me I can now fit the electric mirrors from the Merkur . They will fit nicely on the wide side I have. good accident for me.

Last edited:
A little bit closer today but it was 34 Degrees and hands get numb. Most of the engine stuff is lose. All fluids drained and mounts loosened. The cold slowed this down somewhat. But tomorrow is going to be much warmer. Now I will get going and move out the Merkur that is in my garage so I can get the gas tank out and along with the electric fuel pumps and lines if I can get them in one piece. Plus it will give em more wiggle room the get my 351 out of the Coupe. We are whittling away at this thing.

Attachments

• HPIM5137.jpg
    HPIM5137.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 11
  • HPIM5136.jpg
    HPIM5136.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 12
I made headway all around today. The Merkur Engine is out and stripped down and made easier to paint it up a little before I add the parts back. I also git the other Merkur pulled out of the garage. This took a few minutes it is a real tight fit and I had to pull it out with a come -a-long inch by inch. Less than 1.5 inches on the sides for clearance good thing the mirrors flop back, heheh. But I managed to get it all the way out. Now i can try to get the gas tank and associated parts needed for the fuel injection. My brother in Law is from England and he says they made pick-ups from Merkurs in England. I,ll have to look at some photos and see. I like the idea of a Merkur Ranchero withn a v/8, hmmm independent rear suspension and all. I got the extra room in the garage now for all the work coming, Also I can take out the 351 Cleveland Boss Engine and retire it in the corner for another 25 years. I got a few photos. Tomorrow I try for the gas tank etc.

Attachments

• HPIM5144.jpg
    HPIM5144.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 13
  • HPIM5143.jpg
    HPIM5143.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 13
  • HPIM5142.jpg
    HPIM5142.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 35
More photos

Attachments

• HPIM5139.jpg
    HPIM5139.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 18
  • HPIM5138.jpg
    HPIM5138.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 18
  • HPIM5140.jpg
    HPIM5140.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 18
  • HPIM5141.jpg
    HPIM5141.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 19
Hers a photo of a Merkur that has be transformed into a truck

Attachments

• Merkur truck-1.jpg
    Merkur truck-1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 31
Bad news all the work today was for nothing the gas tank will not fit and I am not going to redo the trunk area again. The tank is 1.5 inches too long . So I have decided I will use the original Mustang 11 tank and dump the fuel injection and the turbo on the 2.3 Merkur engine. I will use a carburettor some thing I can fix if it breaks on the road and no ECU to worry about. I will still use the 2.3 engine but with fewer options,. I never liked the 80lb electric fuel pump that keeps pumping gas if you crash. I will opt for a much simpler engine and electronics. A simple dash with a few gauges a tach and a speedo. This will speed up my work without all the hoopala on turbos, ox sensors and the like. I will fit a manual fuel pump to the engine and along with a Carb on the original intake, after a little modifications take place. I will be able to get this engine fixed with simpler ignition, carb etc. I have some photos of my wasted day...

Attachments

• HPIM5149.jpg
    HPIM5149.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 10
  • HPIM5148.jpg
    HPIM5148.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 11
  • HPIM5147.jpg
    HPIM5147.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 10
  • HPIM5146.jpg
    HPIM5146.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 10
  • HPIM5145.jpg
    HPIM5145.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Spent most od the day stripping wiring harnesses from the Merkur so I can use the wires. I also bought a Holley 2 barrel carb for a 1972 Pinto for the Merkur engine. Plus a adaptor for EFI to 2 barrel Holley. I will have to modify the bolt holes a little.

Last edited:
What a bummer.....

Spent most od the day stripping wiring harnesses from the Merkur so I can use the wires. I also bought a Holley 2 barrel carb for a 1972 Pinto for the Merkur engine. Plus a adaptor for EFI to 2 barrel Holley. I will have to modify the bolt holes a little.

Sorry you've run into so much crap.....just wondering....those little holley 2 barrels could be a bit tempermental if memory serves me..(normally it doesn't)....is the carb rebuilt or a used one? Theres a little vent hole (idle air bleed) on the top near the choke that if it was running rough, and you blocked it...the engine would smooth out...usually there was some dirt or such in the idle circuit and blocking the hole would richen the mixture...wasn't sure if you were planning to rebuild it or just try it first....:D They used a similar holley carb on the Vega and some other models too...and they had the same issues...

Yes I remember I had 5 Pintos over the years. Rust killed all of them I drove them to the junk yard and brought the batterys home. heheeh I will rebuild the carb ..no nig deal. I may re- jet it if it needs it with the cam etc.

Probably right but I cant fix any of that junk if it breaks on the highway. I am old school points, carbs, My brother in law has the turbo and it don't come on until 3 grand and that’s over the rpm used here on the country roads 40 mph, I will see what I get with this carb etc , At least I wont have the lag. I have had many Hot cars with big Rat engines and small ones much to wild for the street. If I ever get my Mercury flat heat rebuilt that is the engine I wanted in this car.. Time will tell

I used my wood scraps that I bent all the tubing with for my Mig welder cart. I use everything that I can. Plus I had 2 wheels I accumulated somewhere.. The plywood curved piece is the form I used to bend all by rear deck on. Its not needed any longer the front bends will be different. And a pile of wire from the Merkur for my Coupe.

Attachments

• HPIM5154.jpg
    HPIM5154.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 20
  • HPIM5153.jpg
    HPIM5153.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 16
  • HPIM5152.jpg
    HPIM5152.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Latest posts