Scratch Building a Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been looking at the last photos, and I can't think of what type of Car this is going to look like. The rear is taking shape of something but your guess is as good as anyone's on what this is? Any ideas guys?

Photo of last shots so you don't have to turn back to page 20 to see the rear of the car

Attachments

• HPIM4814.jpg
    HPIM4814.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 75
so far so cool , lol can't wait to see 'er finished, you know I once knew a guy that bought a hot tub and didn't even have a house to put it in, lol never could figure that one out, I guess its like buying the tires before you buy a car, keeps ya focused, to finish the deal..[P

I just spent an hour checking out your build and still didn't get to see everything.
I really like it, I like your style. Hey, you're not going to throw it away if it gets rusty are ya? [ddev

Well I have a metal roof now never shingles again, never. if this rod got rusty enough for some reason I could can it if my disposition tells me to.

I have framed the trunk lid , so to speak. I finished the left side outer rail with sheet metal ,all from appliance free metal. I also had time to cut and rough fit the complete bottom valance under the trunk lid. If the WX is not bad I will weld them into place tomorrow. Starting to look like something now, but what I don't know. Photos are coming.

Attachments

• HPIM4815.jpg
    HPIM4815.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 29
  • HPIM4816.jpg
    HPIM4816.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 30
  • HPIM4820.jpg
    HPIM4820.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 28
Photos

Attachments

• HPIM4817.jpg
    HPIM4817.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 32
  • HPIM4819.jpg
    HPIM4819.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 30
  • HPIM4818.jpg
    HPIM4818.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 39
yes but costs I don't want to pay for metal that is gunna be junked anyway. car panels are bad if they have undercoating. But I will take free stuff.

I haven't been checking this build for awhile - you really go at it! I had to go back and start from the beginning. Good stuff - the builds on the cheap are always the most interesting.

The roof shaped up nicely. I like the wood idea for the windows. As for metal - around here we have scrappers trolling the alleys looking for junk all the time. I buy stuff off them sometimes for scrap price.

The one thing that bugs me about your build (and I've seen it on others) are the squared off sides of the rear quarters. If you take the time to round those, it will add to the finished look ten fold if not more.

yes ive considered curving the sides but it will complicate installing my rear fender curves that i have already made they are to attatch to a flat surface to work. Not much side will show when the fenders are put on.

It was not too cold for me to work in the shop today. I was able to get in 3 hours and finished welding the lower valances beneath the trunk lid. Now I will be ready to start the quarter panels so I can attach my already made fender outlines. I made these a while back when I had the plywood forms in the quarter panel position. I may have to buy a 4X8 sheet of 18 gauge steel because I don't want any pieces or humps and bumps in the sides to screw up my fender outlines. These need to be put on flat going, sorry Sam. The metal was from my wife's old Picnic table top 42 inch in diameter and all 18 gauge steel. The table top was headed for the dump when I became aware there was fender possibilities in that table. I have a few photos they look alike but were taken at the same angle, I can't remember what I was intended to show you. Maybe you can see a difference here. I'm tired.. Photos..

Attachments

• HPIM4821.jpg
    HPIM4821.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 58
  • HPIM4822.jpg
    HPIM4822.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 58
What is going on with the center brace on the trunk frame? It looks crooked in the pics?

Curving the top edges are what I was talking about, not the actual side panels. It would take a lot of work, of course, and it looks like you've already welded them up.

Attachments

• HPIM4822a.jpg
    HPIM4822a.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 47
yes I considered that also but it was a time thing and lots of pieces that I knew I couldnt get them all the same curves. So i angled them with larger pieces.

It warmed up some and I was able to get in a few hours. I had to change my plans on using ash wood for my rear window and wind shield frames. Ash wood in my area is not available no one uses it and shipping is outragous. So I was able to buy some 1X3 red wood boards which is better than ash but softer wood. I will live with it. I rough framed the rear window on the outside. I did not do any trimming or glueing. I just got a rough alingment and clamped it into position to see what I have. It will look okay as far as I am concerned. I will trim and get it stuck together tomoorow if time permits. I also cut the bars in the trunk cross pieces they were straining the curved parts of the trunk. There was a lot on tension on them plus one end was crooked from distortion. It all relaxed now with no tension on it and I will contend with that at another time. I wanted to bring all parts of the rear along all at the same time, thus I started the window frame. I have some photos...

Latest posts

Back