Screw-On Moon discs.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonMan

Has anyone ever installed a set ?

I know that they make snap-on discs, but my son wants the screw-on type for a couple reasons. For one, he thinks the exposed screw heads look cool and hardcore and two, he`s worried someone will "jack" his discs in the high school parking lot (his words, not mine).

I`m wondering, exactly where is the placement of the screw ? On the outer rim where the tire bead is ? Just don`t want to have to worry about losing air through the screw threads.

Mine snap on, but I was thinking of adding the screws, but they would probably just go through the cap. The snap on caps hold up well and are generally cheaper. The tire bead is very thick, sometimes more than an inch. I was originally figuring three screws going through the outermost lip of the wheel, and just into the rubber as slightly as possible.

Yeah, that is where they go, and three is generally what I have seen. If your Son wants to be really trick he can add some of those screws that use an allen head with the bump in the center so that any potential thieves would need a special allen wrench to remove them.

Shame what you have to do any more to keep your stuff. :(

Don

If your Son wants to be really trick he can add some of those screws that use an allen head with the bump in the center so that any potential thieves would need a special allen wrench to remove them.

You know, the kids are so lazy these days, I figure he has nothing to worry about even with the snap-on discs. Besides that, how many high school kids will actually know what these are and will even want them ? What a sad generation we have coming up .....

Yea Donman, three short screws are what is generally used. Some people also put a few small dabs of silicone on the wheel to prevent rattling. I'd be careful with that though. I like when quarter turn Dzus fasteners are used to secure the disks. That requires welding tab to the wheel though, and they can be easily removed with a coin if a would be thief figures that out.

I've used the Speedway screw-on discs with no problems, no air leakage. I drilled and tapped the screw holes with the tires on the rims.

If you had snap on Moon discs,with dummy screws,
the hooligans probably wouldn't bother with them.

Check Mcmaster.com for Tamper-resistant screws.
Lots of different options.

I'd be tempted to weld nuts to the wheels.

I know Moon sells a modified disc looking thing,
to use as a fixture for installing Dzeus fasteners.

Mine leaked when the tires were new and i thought i had a problem but a short 8 hour trip to the Daytona turkey rod run fixed it.

Latest posts

Back