seucide front axle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old bone

Banned
i am build on a 46 ford sedan frame...this is an spring forward of the axle....i have taken the spring out of the orgional cross member...plan on making a perch at the very front of the frame...no it seems to me this is called a seucide set up?...with spring forward of the frame...now i have cut my wishbones and with a little heat can spread em'...now if i were to buy adjustable spring perches..new spring...and then new split wishbones...this would run me over 350 bucks from speedway ....it will then be a spring on top of the axle set up......i am on a budget and definitely want a strong and right front end....any suggestions and pics or anyone do this conversion?.....is it even necessary?

If you can post pictures or links to what you have someone might be able to help you better. From what I think you're describing you might be able to use what you have and bolt the spring mounts to your wishbones kinda like this guy did:

http://flickr.com/photos/ratpoison/462392948/in/set-72157601679531790/

I just googled "suicide front axle" and clicked on images, I know a lot of guys do it that way but maybe someone that knows better can help you.

Sean

I knew I had seen it somewhere, here's a car built by a buddy of mine. You could just use a perch instead of a cross member(he has air bags there):

http://www.vintagerods.ca/showthread.php?t=78&page=3

Scroll to the bottom and there's a good picture.

Sean

i believe that car has full air ride all the way around. the first picture would be the easiest for you to accomplish. when you split the bones you give up your original mounting point of the buggy spring. you can cut off the original mounts. since you will be not using them. most fellas just drill out the bones or weld on tabs for the rocker links to bolt too. you really dont need a kit to get all this done. there are several ways to do this. a bit of research will get you a ton of different ways to skin this cat.

what i have

DSC00111.jpg
this is susposto be a 45 or 46 frame..i have removed the axle from the original motor mount cross member...as you can see it is a spring forward design..i have removed the spring from the axle....split the bones and have welded up a spring perch to the frame at the end of the horns..no pics yet...the problem i am running into is i have to make a pie cut in the bones and reweld to get clearance for the tires...second..the distance from one bone to the other is 40"..the longest spring i can find is 30"..the stock spring can not work being mounted in a spring over or spring behind akle set up ...it is too long

...why do you want to suicide the front axle?...what type of car are you building, fenders or no fenders?...is it just to get it low?

Those frames are easy to do without suiciding...make a flat front crossmember, or modify the original one, and install dropped axle...it's possible to get around 7" of drop just doing those 2 things...

Latest posts

Back