shaving bumper bolts

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The following quote was stolen from the net"

If your bumper bolts are carriage bolt you'll need to grind off the head, leaving the square shank. After the head is ground off so the square fits flush or a bit below the bumper surface, you weld them on. Grind the welds smooth and VIOLA!! shaved bumpers. Be sure to grind off all the chrome around the area to be welded. You'd hate to have a bumper drop off on the road due to crappy welds.

One thing to watch out for is if bumper curves and you have bolts on the sides be sure you can still bolt the bumper on.

I think there is a Gastrick thread here showing some bumper magic.

Motomech's post pretty much covered it. I'll add this though, after removing the bolt heads, thread a nut onto the threaded part thats left in order to squarely hold what's left of the bolt to the backside of the bumper. Also, make sure that the bolt is well below the front surface of the bumper before welding because you will be grinding the weld flush and you want plenty of strength left.

Another way is to fill the bumper bolt holes completely and weld brackets to the back side of the bumper.

The thread that Bonehead is refering to is here................

http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479&highlight=bumper&page=7

It is also recomended, that after you have ground off the head of the cariage bolt and welded it to the bumper,(make sure the bolt lines up with the brackets) take a large washer and put it over the now welded stud and weld that to the inside of the bumper around the stud and bumper to prevent any stress cracks

Oh and if you are narrowing or modifying the bumper and having it rechromed, the chrome shop should clean the bumper first and the should do your weld grinding for you. My chrome shop cleans(dechromed) the parts first, then I mock up what I want, make all the pieces and give it back to them, they then grind the bumper and the pieces smooth,(much easier for them to work on small pieces than the big bumper) then I get it back and weld it together, then back to the chrome shop for smoothing and filling, copper tanked, then back to me for final fitment(only nescessary if the gaps are really tight, edge build up ect.) then back to the chrome shop for final chrome, long process, but worth it and the prefered method, chrome prices have sky rocketed so you only want to do it once

good luck

and don't warp the sh*t out of the metal when welding, harder to fix and will cost MORE!!!!

Latest posts

Back