Shift kit? or Not? TH400

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmontanez

I am having my TH400 rebuilt by my buddy and I cannot decide if I want a shift kit installed or not. I am running a stock chevy 350, stock rear end, no crazy mods. I would like some pros and cons...or just some definite answers why I should or should not.

thanks and i hope everyone is having a great sunday...

cheers

Because it's cheap, easy to do when the transmission is already out, and feels a hell of a lot better to chirp into second gear when you're standing on it. Should be enough reason to upgrade the slushbox...

By all means install a shift kit. The harder an auto trans shifts the longer it will last! The reason is simple when it shifts nice and smooth, it is slipping the clutches and or bands. Nice hard shift and everything is locked up and not slipping. Slipping also makes them run hotter.

When you manually put a 400 in low it will shift out of 1st gear at 5600 rpm, this is not a problem with a stock engine but the minute you do a little modification and the new stuff has a shift point of 6500 to 7000 then you're screwed.
Shift kit it ;)

Yes, definitely install a shift improver kit. It'll extend the life of your tranny, even though 400s are already tough as nails.

I have one for sale if you want, for a turbo 400. Went to install it on mine and it already had one there lol. Brand spankin new.

Yep, and contrary to what a person might think, a shift kit doesn't make the trans shift like a drag car. We have a couple of transmissions with shift kits in them that are supposedly brutal, but you barely notice any difference at all.

Don

shift kit it is then....

thanks fellas and Rhynorock thanks for the offer, but I just talked to my buddy and he has one that he is willing to give me and install with the rebuild!

Latest posts

Back