should be a sticky

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthman

Fascinated by rolling objects!
Tempe AZ on the corner of Oak and Southern
How to Restore a Rat Rod

The custom rat rod is a hot rod that is ratty, built with just enough to allow it to function. It may have no radio. Perhaps the windows aren't installed. Usually a coupe or roadster, bodies are lower and the profile chopped. Restoring a rat rod is a challenging project in which you must decide what to include, or even what to take away.
Step 1
Choose a vehicle that was minted between the 1940s and 1950s. Though the outside may look rough, when the rat rod is finished, it will be safe to drive. The car you choose to restore doesn't have to run right now, but it needs to be able to be modernized so it can be made to run.
Step 2
Think creatively when deciding how you want your restored rat rod to look. Pick and choose looks from a variety of models to create your new rod's look. For example, you could include a 9-inch Bronco rear end, a 1966 Ford Pickup steering column, the parking brake handle and cables of an unknown sports car, and Ford Ranger tie rod ends. These parts may not sound like they go together, but if you are thinking creatively, you can pull it off.
step 3
Hand-modify parts or use parts from a junkyard. Remember that the idea is to keep it a safe, running vehicle regardless of looks. This does not mean crude, shoddy workmanship even if you do have an odd combination of parts.
step 4
Build a high-performance motor using specialty items. For a transmission, some rat rods sport 6-speed transmissions, and have custom wheels that are more than dressy. In sum, the car may not be terribly pretty, but it can run like a real hot rod.

Tips & Warnings

• You can go with a jalopy, the usual kind of rat rod.

• It is important to let a custom rat rod look rough on the outside.

• Parts from as many as 20 different cars can be used to make a custom rat rod.

Now I see where I went wrong on my current build. There are actually just 4 easy steps... how did I get so sidetracked?!?

BoB

i'm w/ya trip, i've put WAY to much work into mine trying to keep it looking like a 50's/60's shop truck- hotrod .....

i guess i'll just start over--with some ranger tie rodends ordered i should now have a proper starting place:D:D[S:p

Last edited:
Q: What if I have parts from MORE than 20 different cars?

Q: What should I use to connect the Ranger tie rod ends to the unknown sports car parking brake handle?

Apparently the answers are right here on RRR Sam. Just follow the link :D Or take the link to Jalopy Journal, a great source for all things ratrod.

I took your advice Mr. Earthman and asked my questions on the Jalopy Journal site. I got many suggestions, but they didn't seem to explain how to build my rat rod, and most sounded very painful, if not impossible. Maybe I'll have better luck with that other link to Rat Rods Rule. Thank You again for your help Mr. Earthman

:D:D:D

Latest posts

Back