Should I do it?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinflint

Okay new to the forum because for the last six months I've had an itchin' that needs to be scratched:

I've got this 63 VW Karmann Ghia convertable that's getting a little crappy on the paint. Time for a respray. But I'm thinking before I do that why don't I run it like a rat rod for a few years? Take the top off, hit it with a rattle can job, stencil some numbers on the side or something. (Interior is already nicely set up for rat rod.) So my question is, has anyone ever seen a rat rod Ghia vert? If so I'd like to see the pic. Meanwhile, here's a pic of my potential victim. Should I go for it?

Attachments

• ghia.jpg
    ghia.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 33
Looks like a nice KG to me. Don't screw it up. Find and old beater to work on and make a hot rod and just drive the KG and enjoy it.

I agree with everyone else , don't ruin a good ride . Rat rods are vehicles that are being saved from being scrapped or turned into a parts car . A true rat rod is a car or truck that has been built UP not DOWN . Be proud of what you have and find yourself something to build that needs your attention and dedication , and by the way , welcome to RRR !

Welcome, and I agree with everyone else.Its in too good of shape and I dont think they have the right look for a rat. I could see doing a vintage racecar look, or something if you want it a bit different.

Ratdog you're right. I'm looking for something a bit different for a couple of years before I do a new paint job. Seems like the RR look is perfect...

I was curious about Gregsters comment that a true rat rod has been built up, not down. Is that really true? Regardless of their mechanical origins, to me rat rods are pieces of art. The type of art I could easily see applying to a KG. I'd love to tackle the project of creating the weathering, picking some vintage decals, etc. Plus, my aging bright work would match the look perfectly. Would that be such a mistake? If you seasoned rat rod builders have on-purpose built these smokin' killer rides, what difference does it make if I do it to a car that didn't "need to be saved?"

Comments please, I want to make sure I understand the real DNA of the RR.

I see what you want but you are mixed up a bit. What you are looking for is the look of a vintage, aged racer. If that is the look you want, go for it. Age the paint, do the decal or paint sponsers on it. It may look cool if you don't over do it. But that is not a rat rod. The term has grown bigger than it's nature. When I see someone take a nice Model A or a Nice Model T and sand the paint off, toss salt on it and make it look like crap just freaks me out. Building a beater or rat to me is taking something that most find unsaveable and making it back into a car/truck. It may not be pretty but it wasn't in the first place and it is saved from being crushed or rotted into the ground. And you never know. Maybe 20 years from now someone else may go further and fix it up when you can't find any in the woods or barns. It's recycling at it's best. The term Rat has grown and every person has heard of it. I was building this junk before the term was used on cars.It wasn't accepted like it is now. Why did I build them. I couldn't afford anything else and I drug home piles of junk. Years ago if someone said anything about it being a rat it was the 1% bikers and their scooters. They wanted a bike that was just so freaking nasty that the normal people wonder if they was all there. It was years later that the term was used on cars.

On my earlier comment , it was no slam to you at all . That's not what we do here or what we are about , I promise we all welcome you with open arms ! I would feel really bad if you thought otherwise , I just don't want to see you ruin a really cool old car with a rattle can . If you are going for the vintage racer look i'm all about that . Bottom line it's your car , whatever you do is entirely up to you . Just the same , I welcome you to the forum and the wonderful world of rat rods . :)

Welcome to RRR. Nice Ghia, I have a 68 in my back yard waiting to sell. I wouldnt cut a nice one but I have seen some nice rod Ghias. Here is a roadster Ghia next to my bug at bug-a-paluza a couple of weeks ago.
Tim

Attachments

• P1010302.jpg
    P1010302.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 23
Welcome Kevin...they told me not to put a Ford cab on an S10 frame, so I did it. They told me not to put a Cadillac engine in it, so I did it. They said a 350 turbo won't hold up behind the Caddy, so I used one. They said a 67 year old shouldn't be drag racing, so that's what I do. It's your car, see my point?..:D

GREGSTER: No worries. I appreciate the input and like the debate!
TIMBO: Thanks for the pic - exactly what I needed to see...
EVERYONE: Great input!

not that it matters

but i think you should paint it like speed racers car.
all; white with the red accents and yellow number 5.
Mach53.jpg

obviously not the original actual car -- but thats the paint scheme.

I'm not sure that picture helped your argument C.C!

How about the same color of green it is now with a flattening agent. Flat green w/ the shiny white rims and the baby moons - SWEET!

Even lower it a few " if you can without permanent changes. Paint can be gone over again, springs changed, etc. but that car looks way too nice to cut up.

Latest posts

Back