Shrinker Stretchers?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got the ones from Eastwood...

have only made one part with them.....a cab corner for a buddies truck...worked well but would like to have the stand and the foot pedal as not having both hands to me was a bit awkward...but, came out pretty good..considering I'd never used them before...

I too have a pair from eastwood and have made many thangs. I agree with Sarge in that a stand and foot pedal would be nice. We found they work better if you take em' apart and reassemble with all purpose grease on the parts.

I've got one but don't know what brand it is..played with a couple scraps when I first got it, really haven't touched it since, but it seemed to work.. that didn't help you a bit did it? :D:D

Have one that the jaws interchange using the same body/frame, looks like the same deal as the Eastwood and a lot of others out there. I've seen guys really pile on the pressure when using it, that's not necessary, only ruins the jaw teeth and springs the unit. A lighter approach works just fine and it's not so hard on the machine. If you have a handle, just 'bounce' it along as the material if fed through/past the jaws. You'll be amazed how quick it gives results. Same deal with a pedal system, lighter is better. Dog legs, hood and trunk corners, dash sections etc. they work quite well. But they are limited to reach and depth on a panel to just the edges. They are not for a large area. I'll dig up the paper work and info sheets that came with mine and post it so you can see what the manufacturer has to say about it all. The other thing is they do leave teeth marks on the surface of the material that will need to be dressed out when done. Not a big deal, but it is the nature of the beast.

Last edited:
Here's what I have, it's the single head with jaws that exchange. Since I bought this one, you can buy the pair for about the same price. So much for being the first on the block. Examples on the wooden box along with the extra jaw set. Box is a Dollar Store find, cheap enough that I keep a lot of the extra parts and pieces from tools and equipment in them, you can find them in the Jewellery box section. Couple of scans of the paperwork I got with mine. If it ever gets to be a pain switching the jaws out I'll get the second unit, until then I'll use it as is. But...if I was getting one for the first time, I would go with the pair right off the bat, much more convenient.

(Couldn't get the examples to upload, I'll redo the picture.)

Attachments

• S-S 1.jpg
    S-S 1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Ass'y Diagram-1.jpg
    Ass'y Diagram-1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Instruct.1.jpg
    Instruct.1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for the input guys. I think I am going to pick up a set after Christmas if Santa brings me enough money! I was thinking of picking up the set from the Freight, which look identical to the ones from eastwood, so I don't know. Might give them a whirl. On sale for $129 for members I think if I remember right......

If you watch Eastwood theirs go on sale for 149..

Thanks for the input guys. I think I am going to pick up a set after Christmas if Santa brings me enough money! I was thinking of picking up the set from the Freight, which look identical to the ones from eastwood, so I don't know. Might give them a whirl. On sale for $129 for members I think if I remember right......

Thats how I got mine....so for 20 bucks, I'll go with Eastwood....probably the same...just sounds better...lol

I got a set for Christmas about 4 years ago from HF from my kids. I have used them probably 20+ times and they work great. I am an advocate for buying American made but they were a gift. HF will have a huge mark down sale after the first of the year. They always do. Like 60-70% off if you can wait. Always clean the teeth after each us before you put them away and I believe they will last longer.

I bought the Harbor Freight set. I used them to replace the windshield channel on my Vega and made a new sheet metal chain cover for my buddies old combine. I like them, seem to be good enough for my use. Make sure you use a 20% off coupon. This link seems to have a coupon every month. Harbor Freight Digital Savings

Thanks for the heads up on the coupon!!!

Santa didn't get me one...... :( Said the elves didn't know what it was!!! LOL

Instead they just sent an envelope with the cash to get it myself!!! Guess I got some shopping to do! [cl

HF super buy

I bought the Demo out of box HF ones , one holder but both sets of dies, for $ 29, I made my own stomp stand. Lazze has a Utube on how to fine tune and get best results. Smooth off the rough machine marks on the back sides. and adjustments, I took a street rod panel fab class at UVU 5 years ago. they had a mersharnt , It is the best but costs a lot.

Latest posts

Back