Smallfoot's AA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy I'm slow...

Jeesh, everytime I'd take something apart for this swap, I'd do something to change the way it was. Ya'll know, you see an easy improvement and so on. The good thing about that is when it works, it works better. It sure does take time doing a gazillion little improvements. I didn't get to hear the old gal until the sun went down, but it fired right up, ran good with little adjustment. Tobby told me it would take about 11 quarts to get this one about right. I got to 8 quarts and by working the shifter thru the gears, up and back, it was starting to move the truck. I got another 2 1/2 quarts in it before I got up into safe on the stick and after I took it for a romp down the driveway to the highway and back, it sits about a 1/2 quart low. Tobby was right on the mark. I won't get a road trip til tomorrow to see how well everything works together but the driveway run tells me this tranny shifts good. I want to tune a little and do a second check on tightening. My tach quit suddenly and I want to get that fixed. Plus, this being a brand new motor, it wants to run warm, not real hot but over 200. Some of that may straighten out with fine tuning and I'm sure it will settle in well with a little running. It was started up after being primed with the oil pump, run for 20 minutes at 2000 rpm. I'm stoked but tired. Got a couple of shots of the chrome with finger prints everywhere and poor light,,,better tomorrow.:rolleyes:

Thanks Eman! I've been spending alot of time on this ride the last couple of years and now it's time to ride the wheels off it. Took me longer to build this than it did my house.

Thanks Eman! I've been spending alot of time on this ride the last couple of years and now it's time to ride the wheels off it. Took me longer to build this than it did my house.

Yeah but all you can do in the house is spend the night. You can drive the wheels off your ride and be kool!!!
Congrats on getting it back together.
Looks like a diamond in the rough.

Hey thanks guys! Been flittin around all day just putting miles on it and tweeking things up. Haven't gone very far but to and fro from stores and auto parts houses and lunch. Still running a little warm so I'm not pushing it. Went to autozone this am to pick up a new thermostat. Shut it down there at 230 degrees. Came back out it's under 200 so I went to pick up a bite to eat at my favorite bbq stand and had lost my brake pedal going there...??? Ate, left for home to check brakes and change thermostat. Get home and it's about 230 degrees again when I shut it down. Popped a new thermostat in it and re-bled the brakes, got my pedal back. All day long, my tach has been acting up. Crank it up and it's reading true. Run 5 miles and it's all over the place. Starts out right, then starts fluxuating back and forth a couple hundred rpm, then it may go to 9000...jeesh! Ran that 10 miles and didn't get over 220 degrees. It doesn't help being in the 90s and you can cook eggs on the pavement. These motors generally run cool and it's not going to bother me until it's broke in.
Get back home and went thru my wiring one more time and proved it all good. Went into the distributor and found some loose connectors and repaired them but they had no effect. This tach is one week old. It worked on the other motor. I suspect it's the pickup playing games. I'll snatch the other distributor from the other motor and stick it in here to see. There's only two connectors that were changed with the swap and that is ignition and tach. Never has missed a beat as a distributor but never has been able to work the tach....we'll see! Got a party to go to tomorrow and will be taking the 31.

What is it???

My stand pat answer lately...."Which part ya lookin at???":D

Hey Guys, just wanted to give a little tout out for Tobby(tmgant here). These pix are from the other day when I got to shake hands with another forum member and put a face to the name. I also want to thank Tobby for such a fine deal on the T350. This one hasn't skipped a beat or offered anything but excellent work so far. Thanks Tobby! You went way beyond in my mind...
Also got to meet TJ, Tobby's oldest boy. Both fine fellers! Pix below:

Thanks Smallfoot, We had a great time meeting you and getting to see your rod. TJ said next time he's getting in someway and taking it for a spin !!!

Thanks Smallfoot, We had a great time meeting you and getting to see your rod. TJ said next time he's getting in someway and taking it for a spin !!!

Haha! He got in it ok, just couldn't see out of the windshield...:D
That's ok, I'm fabbing up a huge shoe horn to get in and a huge can opener to get out!

While waiting on parts...

My next move is a 6 blade fan for better cooling and the tach filter I'm gonna try for my tach problem. While waiting, my fishin buddy Junior and I hoisted his boat off the trailer and replaced some salt water rotted frame members. Got that done today so tomorrow I'll work on the 31. He got a good deal on this rig. 17 foot Lowe with 48 Johnson. Boat is nice, rigged for fishing, real stable, the only drawback was the trailer rot. It is now better than new with larger cross members and added an extra one too. Beefy,,,,
Pix show his boat on the hoists....kinda takes up a lot of room.

My parts arrived:

FISHING TRIP !!!!!! good luck with heat problem. You mite want to try and put a smaller pulley on the water pump to speed up the water flow. Tobby

Latest posts

Back