smuggled goods

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe,if the pressure was low.You better tear it down.Pressre is built through your mains.They are probably out of clearence.Oil pump likley on its last leg too.Might as well go right through the motor.Its easer now than to do it again.How do I know.I have to tear my motor apart soon now.#5 is drippin some coolant.

I was afraid of that :(. I'll go through it and start checking it out soon to see how bad it is. I was hoping i could just put in a new oil pump :rolleyes: (can you tell i have a lot to learn about engine internals). On the plus side, I can get a whole rebuild kit for less then $400. Can't beat that!

I pulled the casting numbers on the heads at lunch because i couldn't wait any longer and really wanted to know where my motor came from.....turns out it's a mutt. the casting number is 3998991 which is 75cc head produced in 72-73. :( Something tells me this has something to do with the lack of power and i'll be searching for another set of heads. Any thoughts on a good set of heads? I can get new vortecs for $600 but if i can do cheaper then i will. This is kinda low on my list of things to do but i'd like to start thinking about it.

I got some work done tonight. I made room on my tiny slab next to the shed for the frame. I can't wait to have a house with a garage someday. Got the frame on jack stands and the wheels off. Then I played with the pressure washer some more. I got quite a bit off but not even close to half of the grime, i'm sure i'll be able to do a bit better this weekend when i attack it in daylight.

Heres the frame:
PC040613.jpg

PC040615.jpg

PC040614.jpg

Somewhere in-between these two blue lines is where i need to do my front z, i'm not sure where yet and i'm going to do some more studying this week before i decide.
PC040616.jpg

The rear z will be somewhere to the right of this blue line. Also not sure on this just yet. There are other options for the rear besides a z and from what i can tell most don't z the rear on these trucks. The problem is that the rear trailing arms hit the frame as you go down. You can notch the frame where the trailing arms hit for clearance but i would think that would be weaker overall. There is also a kit you can purchase to relocate the bags inwards along with the trailing arms; but i want to stay away from buying "kits" and i think this would complicate the rear suspension further.
PC040620.jpg

I need some help though guys. What thickness of steel should i use for my z? I'm going to have to go down to the local steel supply place very soon and I will have no idea what to ask for. I'd really appreciate any input on this.

I would opt for 2x4 because it will fit better and and support a full size better, then you can just plate it in on the inside of the frame.

Joe what did you use as a degreaser on your frame, its looks like it worked real well, im getting ready to do mine and i dont want to work real hard..by the way i think your truck is going to look good.

Just a tip.I use oil eater that that is a degreaser that can be purchased at Costco.They also offer a parts washer that uses the same stuff.Spray it on nice and heavy.Then hook your pressure washer up to a hot water source from your house and go to town on it.I use a 210 degree pressure washer thats runs off of diesel, but I have used the cold water ones before with the hot water hooked up at the house.Here is the liknk to there products.The parts washer is a heated one and works real good.

http://www.costco.com/Common/Search...e=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US

thanks Banjo, i was using a 500w worklight and doing it in the dark so i got a lot off but there is still alot left becuase i couldn't really see what i was doing. I let some gasoline soak into it on the really heavy areas and hit it full blast with the washer which is a 2200 psi unit. Then i figured I'd try some dawn dish soap just to see if it would work (it's for cutting grease right? :D) and two cans of engine cleaner.

I think i'll try that oil eater stuff this weekend along with some good ol elbow grease. If i didn't already get a good deal on a used parts washer, that costco one looks awesome, especially at that price.

Latest posts

Back