so as i strip a stock model A axle, what parts do i keep?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zordan

exactly what the title says. i need to upgrade the brakes on my 28/29 front end. can i still use the spindles? how 'bout the drums? all the mechanical crap is stripped off, but i dont know what to keep out of the pile of parts. can anyone give me some pointers?

I think your best bet would be to look at some catalogs, (speedway, posies,etc), and see what upgrades, and new parts are available for your axle. Also you need to know what direction you are going , ie what suspension you plan to run, and if you plan on disc brakes, or drums.

Yep, as Bonehead said, first you have to decide WHAT brakes you are going to run. You could use the model A spindles with some later ('39 to '48) hydraulic brakes by using a simple adapter kit from Speedway. But if you are talking discs, you will probably need later spindles ('37 to '48) to make those fit. The later spindles bolt right on BTW.

Check the kingpin bore of your axle when the pin is out to make sure it is not egg shaped from age, while you are at it.

Don

Last edited:
you need to know what direction you are going , ie what suspension you plan to run, and if you plan on disc brakes, or drums.

haha, i plan on going CHEAP! there is a complete mustang 2 up the road from me, they had a sale sign on it. i am really thinking about offering them a grand and cannibalizing that entire car. drivetrain, steering, the whole 9.

i am running 50's chevy spindles with mid 70's disc setup on my bucket, but it wasnt cheap!

the right spindle is quite wobbly, so lets hope those kingpin bores arent too far out of round. i just wasnt sure if i could use those spindles or not. i'll see what i can dig up.

Latest posts

Back