So Im Kinda Bumbed....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty rodder

Its not even been a month yet since I have been working on my 54 and 1. Im already running low on funds have bought nothing but the floor pans. 2. Cant figure out where you all get the time and money to get things going and 3. I dont think im gonna be ready for Rat Rod Rumble in April.......

Maybe I should have bought sheetmetal and done the floors myself.......doa!:confused:

Man, I know exactly where you're at. I said at one point I would be running by Christmas, no way. Things take so long and allways cost more than you would think.

Settle in my brother, its a long haul. If you can just keep plunking away at it, it will get done.

One person said on a thread about motivation, finish one thing, a cool thing, a jewl, and place it where you can see it. It might inspire you to keep pushing.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.:eek:

Is the car running and driveable? If so, enjoy the car - drive it no matter what stage of build you are in. If not, focus on the projects that get it running and driveable (speaking from my personal experience and frustration - I have not followed my own advice)......

i feel your pain too. As Maddog said, focus on one thing and get it finished. I have been working on my car for 3 years and have run out of $$ several times - I spent a crap load in 2007 and nothing in 2008. When that happens, focus on a little project like filling in trim holes you ain't gonna use or something like that - stuff you can do w/ materials on hand. Those projects will make a list as long as your arm.

I have been frustrated for 2 years because one project depends on another project, etc, etc. I want to get my drivetrain in, but that means i gotta paint the engine compartment, which means i gotta do body work, which means i gotta do rust repair, blah, blah, blah......

As for time???? forget it!!! if you got kids, you ain't gonna have time. People ask me if I've been working on my car- I say, heck yeah!!! - for 10 minutes once a week one time a month!!! i find that since time is so valuable, make sure your shop is clean and well organized so you're not searching for stuff when that opportunity to work on your rat prsents itself.

Keep the faith and don't worry about the clock. You are not the only one with this problem!!!! We all feel your pain!!!! We're with you bro !!!

Last edited:
Dont let lack of funding slow you down. Just work on a different area of your car. Do some body work, clean up the engine bay, work on the interior, get the trunk squared away. Plumb the brake lines, there cheap enough.

Im at the point now where i need to drop some cash on a radiator and tires. Do i have an extra 600 clams layin around? Heck no. But i know theres alot of crap that needs to be done that wont cost me a dime. And the thing is, if you do it now, it'll be done later.

Thanks all GREAT ADVICE I guess I will suck it up and go play with the car......at least the free parts haha

Hillbilly, Maddog and rustbucket are all right. It takes time and money to get these projects going. When I say time I mean, it takes time to get the funds:D
I dont know of anyone I have talked to on these sites that didn't at some point get low on time or funds and want to throw in the towel. Heck, I was just there a month ago.
Keep your head up and keep plugging through.
This stuff is suppose to be fun not stressful:rolleyes:

Hey man we've all been where you are!!! there has already been some good advice..just wanted to share my 2 cents worth...
(1) remember to set GOALS not DEADLINES..don't let them be in concrete
(2) like already mentioned, do the "little things" that don't take alot of money when funds are low, and do the "big things" when funds permit
(3) be realistic--honestly unless you've got alot of time, money, and experience, a build will take more than a few months of calender time--think of it this way: 1 8 hr. day on saturday for one month still is not equal to one week of time in a "pro" shop...and how many REALLY get 8 full hours on a sat to work?!?!?!

just for the record...
my 46 ford truck has been a 9 year project and it took 8 of those just to get a "running/rolling" chassis together..prob. another year before "finished" -if ever..hoping my next one goes quicker!!

Hang in there and finish that car if it's your real desire. I rarely get discouraged about finishing my cars even when I'm low on funds. I always seem to find something that I can do even if it's a small detail. I just love to build cars and can make a project out of even a small task. In other words, I'm not very fast :D

As for the money aspect, I do spend a lot of money on my cars by some standards but I'm by no means wealthy. I work 60 to 70 hours a week and sacrifice in some other areas to be able to buy some nice things for my cars because that makes me happy. As for time, I'm usually only able to get to my projects on the weekends, so I try to make the most of the time that I do have available. I come up against some tight deadlines sometimes but I always seem to pull it off.

I sometimes joke that my life as it relates to building cars is as follows:

First I had the time but not the money. Then I had the money but not the time. Now I don't have either one.

But seriously, one thing that I have learned along the way that has made the whole thing more enjoyable for me is to get the car to a usable but somewhat presentable state so that tyhe car or truck can be driven and used while upgrades are made as time and funds allow. Otherwise, you can end up with a sisassembled, long term project that seems to make you feel hopeless after a period of time.

Rusty Rodder,

I pretty much live where you are in your build every day. I've been financially stalled out for months on my build too. I've started to buy major component parts three times since October and EVERY SINGLE TIME I get the cash for something major my plans get screwed! I've got a cab, a bare frame, although it's brand new, a grill shell, a steering wheel, and three boxes of misc. parts in storage and that's it!

Seems like the whole idea of me owning a rat rod is just a pipe dream sometimes. However, if you want something bad enough you'll find a way to make it happen. Take everyone's advise and focus on something else or just the smaller tasks at hand. I've had no choice but to concentrate on the small stuff for months now. If I don't I'll lose my focus and my motivation and I can't afford for that to happen either. I've already got too much invested to give up. You just have to get inventive and find things to occupy your time until conditions improve that's all. You wouldn't believe all I've done to just stay busy and motivated! I've disassembled, cleaned, and painted a bunch of small parts. I've modified several to fit my build, and I've even made brackets etc.. to mount some parts on my build at some point in the future. It's an everyday thing for me now. This stuff doesn't have to be expensive to keep you busy either.

Things will pick up for you eventually just keep your eye on the big picture. I'm one of the most impatient people who ever lived (it's true) and my project has been one of the most frustrating attempts at doing something in my life. However, If I can stay motivated you can too! We are here for you and your not alone in this. Just sound off to us and we will get you through this. That's why we're here!! Oh, yeah, I almost forgot - I also got laid off from my job today too! Oh well??? I gotta suck it up and keep going. I gotta Keep the dream alive. NOBODY is taking that away from me!! NOBODY!!

Thunder1

Last edited:
Hang in there. It will all come together. I could only repeat what the others have said.

And remember that as far as time is concerned, as has been discussed, only those in Florida get alot done, there seems to be 48 hours in a day there:D:D

Rusty, as least you're ahead of me. I had to bail on my '61 Ford 5 years ago and have yet to fill that empty spot in my garage. I hate my job, have a balance on two credit cards, and no dough in the bank. I get so discouraged sometimes when I come out here and read about how other guy's projects are going. I'd love to trade places with them. Well, my friend, here's how I see it from the other side: at least you have an old piece of iron. Many of us out here don't. You have your new floor pans. At least you won't have to look for or buy them again. You say you won't be ready for April. So ? I doubt I'll even be able to buy anything this year, and the year is only 2 days old !!! Remember, there's another April and it's always only another year away. You mentioned having no time or money; well, money is always hard to come by. As for time, well, you find the time to come out here, don't you ? Don't know how old you are (I'm 45) and I hate to say it but with age must come patience. Keep plugging away, bit by bit, and keep us posted on how things are going. Oh, and let's see some pictures. Hope I didn't offend, but rather give you a shot of reality. OK ?

Rusty Rodder,

I pretty much live where you are in your build every day. I've been financially stalled out for months on my build too. I've started to buy major component parts three times since October and EVERY SINGLE TIME I get the cash for something major my plans get screwed! I've got a cab, a bare frame, although it's brand new, a grill shell, a steering wheel, and three boxes of misc. parts in storage and that's it!

Seems like the whole idea of me owning a rat rod is just a pipe dream sometimes. However, if you want something bad enough you'll find a way to make it happen. Take everyone's advise and focus on something else or just the smaller tasks at hand. I've had no choice but to concentrate on the small stuff for months now. If I don't I'll lose my focus and my motivation and I can't afford for that to happen either. I've already got too much invested to give up. You just have to get inventive and find things to occupy your time until conditions improve that's all. You wouldn't believe all I've done to just stay busy and motivated! I've disassembled, cleaned, and painted a bunch of small parts. I've modified several to fit my build, and I've even made brackets etc.. to mount some parts on my build at some point in the future. It's an everyday thing for me now. This stuff doesn't have to be expensive to keep you busy either.

Things will pick up for you eventually just keep your eye on the big picture. I'm one of the most impatient people who ever lived (it's true) and my project has been one of the most frustrating attempts at doing something in my life. However, If I can stay motivated you can too! We are here for you and your not alone in this. Just sound off to us and we will get you through this. That's why we're here!! Oh, yeah, I almost forgot - I also got laid off from my job today too! Oh well??? I gotta suck it up and keep going. I gotta Keep the dream alive. NOBODY is taking that away from me!! NOBODY!!

Thunder1

Hate to hear about your job....but thanks for all the inspiring words

TO THE REST OF YOU ALL: THANKS you dont know but this has help me out so much just knowing that Im not the only one.

All I wanted to do was have my 40 Studebaker on the road for Charlotte in October, and I was very close to making that happen, but work has been so crazy that every little bit of time I had that I wasn't working, I was trying to sleep, or do simple things like laundry or the other things that need to be done so that one can live.* I have gone as far as bribing my brother in law to do a few small things on the car, but I honestly haven't done anything on the car since the end of September.* I'm hoping that since we are in a new year, and all of the end of the year stuff was shipped at work, I hope that I get a little break in the "action" so that I can get back to the Studebaker.* Don't get me wrong, I'm glad as h$ll that work has been so busy, especailly in todays economy, but a little welding, a set of glass, and a little other minor things and the car can be on the road legally.....that's all I want...maybe this spring it will be on the road

It has been around 3 months since I lasted posted a pic on the builds forum. I ordered all the parts for my rear suspension and went to work promising pictures soon. 3 months later and many hours I finally put the rear suspension together just today, I didn't like this and I didn't like that so I rebuilt the entire chassis from the cab back and then put it all together.

I don't give myself deadlines as I use my hobby for therapy. I am always thinking about what is next, even if it is filling holes in the fire wall just for something to do.

Baby steps just make baby steps and don't give up.

Just this morning while driving around I saw a 50's model ford under a tarp in the back yard of some house. I bet it has been there for years waiting on the time and money maybe it will get finished maybe it won't. Maybe I will go offer something for it to the owner's wife!

Don't give up just do something even if it is sanding a fender at least you will be doing something!

ditto

I echo what has been said. Funds are mostly lacking around here, even though we have been working hard and making more than ever. That's one reason why I like rat rodding - it does not demand new parts, shiny parts, or the latest and greatest parts. Make do, and have fun!

440shorty

Never give up.

Figure out how much (little) $$ you can put aside each week to save for the car. Every little bit adds up. Every time I eat ramen, drink water instead of soda or beer, or dont go out to see a movie or whatever, I can ad that $$ I saved to the 'car fund'.

Learn how to make it instead of buying it!!!!

Scrounge for parts. Look for shops that throw out stuff you might be able to use.

I am inspired by people that make do with nothing. Check out this link to a thread about homemade parts by a guy in the islamabad jeep club in Israel. They have nearly no tools, their wearing friggin robes and sandals, yet are producing replica jeeps where every part is handmade.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=680542&highlight=

KEEP AT IT!

A lot of good advice has been given. I know what you mean about time & money. My own problem has been the time factor. I have a shelf-full of parts for my Plymouth but, the time has been seriously lacking. It is driveable, tho. So I do enjoy that. If your 54 is driveable then take 'er for a short spin every once in a while & do some of those small things that don't cost a lot. Hope this helps you a bit.

As someone who has been around for almost 64 years, I can tell you that I have been exactly where you guys are, at least 50 times. Over the years I have had to sell lots of half finished projects just to keep a roof over my wife and kids heads, but I never think about one of those cars. Instead I think about what the money I got from them did to keep us going. Sure, it is a painful decision to make at the time, but selling a car, or not having the money to move ahead on one is just a temporary setback. Have patience and things do improve.

My '27 roadster took 6 years to build, mainly because we needed the money for more important stuff.......food, mortgage, electric, etc. :rolleyes: I could handle the $ 50 purchases, but the $ 500 ones had me saving money for a while. Sometimes I had to dig into my secret savings to pay some bill, but that is life sometimes.

All I can offer you guys is that life does get easier as the years go by. I know how it is to want it all now, but good things take time.

Don

Latest posts

Back