Soft top

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverdone

He's not done yet...
Looking at pictures, I see a lot of cars with the panoramic/soft top/sun roof thingamagig such as displayed here................
PA301785.jpg

Has anyone ever tried to make one themselves? How do you do it? What kind of fabric is it? ......... etc.............. Been thinking about maybe doin one on the old and busted Dodge............

If your talking about the retractable accordian type roof ?? I want one too !!!
I'm thinking of a canvas guy in town that does boat tops. I would definatly like to see some and whats involved building it......

Hey Busteddrum,
Is that a picture of something of yours? If so, does it open by turning the crank. verry cool now I'm definatly wanting one now. I can apreciate all of the work that went into the car in the second photo, but not a fan of the plywood. Still an amazing car..........

The flip top is really cool, but not quite what I am looking for. Looking for the sliding rag top, want something that I can open up when going down the road and not make a big a$$ sail.

Last edited:
Might end up being what I do use!!! Looks like a pretty good deal! only thing is it would be much smaller than 40x80...... probably more like 30x40.

I made to one for my bug myself. I am going to make a sliding soft top sunroof some day. I used angle steel for the frame with a pair of hinges so I can fold it up and place it in the back seat area. The material is from a mangled easy up canopy. Canvas would be stronger. I have better pics some where but comp. bit the dust back in the summer.
Tim

Attachments

• IMG_2422.jpg
    IMG_2422.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 18
I've been seeing alot of bug's. are they easy to work on, or just personal preference?
I also thought of a roof rack from a VW bus for my car. I guess anything goes when you build your own ride!!!

I have been around VWs for 30+ years. I have owned all kinds of cars/trucks from early 60 Falcons( I had 3) to SS Chevys but I have had more fun with my VWs because they are different and I can easily double the HP fairly cheap.
Tim

Sorry that I have not re-posted sooner. That website is very difficult to maneuver for a custom application. They have them all different sizes and can custom make one to your specs. I would like to know where they get them from. Might be able to save some money.

Here is a page that show different sizes. Hope this helps.

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/1960/VW/Vanagon/Ragtops-Sunroofs/

Latest posts

Back