Some Canadian help please

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YBeNormal

I have recently inherited a lot of coins and currency. I have an abundance of Canadian currency. Does any of it have any value? Collector, rarity, or precious metal?

Like here in the states pre 64 coins are mostly pure silver etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

It would depend on what you have and year/condition. 1 and 2 dollar bills haven't been printed for a number of years, and pennies are now a thing of the past for about a year or so. The WWW. would likely be your best bet. All silver content coins were discontinued here at around the same time you've mentioned. I have a collection myself, but it's more of a novelty thing than any of it holding any value above face value. There are a few pieces that demand some higher prices, be like mentioned, the internet would likely let you know what is valuable.

I have recently inherited a lot of coins and currency. I have an abundance of Canadian currency. Does any of it have any value? Collector, rarity, or precious metal?

Like here in the states pre 64 coins are mostly pure silver etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Seems like the Canadian didn't have as much silver content as ours did.

That could very well be WB. Canadian coins could vary from 1/2 to 9/10ths or so. Don't think they ever come out at 100% silver. I had a 1961 silver dollar at one time...until my youngest daughter took it and bought a chocolate bar with it.

Ah yes, Loonies and Toonies.

Loonies came to being because of the 'Loon' imprinted on the $1 coin.
Toonies got their name because it was worth 2 Loonies.
But a lot of us thought it should have 2 deer imprinted on it.......then it could have been two bucks. True story!! (Canadian mint has no humor at all.)

Thanks for the websites and all the input. I do have some bills. Plus a whole lot of coins. I will take some pictures for you guys.

Loonies and Toonies?? So is there no paper money in Canada?

Now I know what they are. (Off topic) at Disney on its a small world people throw coins in the water and there are tons of coins. My son and wife noticed a bunch of odd looking coins we didn't know what they were and neither did anyone else around us, it is your Toonie! Who knew I would figure that out from the Rat Rod site. Lol

Loonies and Toonies?? So is there no paper money in Canada?

Yes, there is still the $5, $10, $20, $50, $100, $1000. in paper bills. BUT..... that is a bit misleading as well. The "paper" money isn't paper at all anymore. It's now a special plastic that is supposed to help foil counterfeiting and has a whole lot of safety features involved. (And you thought our coins were strange!!) Hah...check this out. The $5 is an older version and is being fazed out, it is one of the paper examples still out there. But when it gets worn out or damaged it will get pulled from the system and will be destroyed. The $50 and $100 are the newer examples and are made from the plastic I mentioned earlier. They have holograms, 'windows', invisible buried id strips, micro printing and bunch of other stuff that will be real hard to duplicate. There are raised bumps along the upper portion of each bill that is Braille for the seeing impaired. In the one picture where I'm holding up the bill, you can see through it and into my backyard. The area around the Parliament building and the Maple Leaf are transparent. (Window) The newer $5 $10 and $20 bills have the same kind of look as the $50 and $100. I just didn't have any to take a picture of. The plastic will wear a lot longer than the older paper variety, and should be cheaper to print in the long run, or at least that's what they are counting on. What hasn't changed, is it still spends just as fast, and the colours are still used. $5 are blue, $10 is purple, $20 is green, $50 is a pinky colour, $100 kind of a tan, and the $1000 is an orangy brown. So there you go....likely more info than you ever wanted.:D

Oops. Hit submit before loading the pictures.

Attachments

• Canadian coin.jpg
    Canadian coin.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Canadian coin 2.jpg
    Canadian coin 2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 4
  • $5 bill a.jpg
    $5 bill a.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 5
  • $5 bill.jpg
    $5 bill.jpg