Some help?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

42fordrat

Can anyone tell me how this suspension was done? It looks like the stock front axle modified. I am trying to move my axle forward as cheap as possible and this looks like a good bet. Thoughts?

Attachments

• DSCF0220.jpg
    DSCF0220.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 79
This is a type of suicide front end, looks like quarter elip springs were used but are hard to see from the angle of the photo!

Toad

first of all let me say I have not yet driven any of my ideas . It looks like a 4 bar set up just to keep the front axle traveling up and down and than a quarter eliptical spring to give the axle suspension. And a torsion bar for the shock. Do you have any pictures of what axle and frame you plan to use? Do you want the axle to sit in front of the frame or below it ? When I think about different suspension ideas I like to first look at as many different stock suspension ideas that have been used and try to fully understand how they work and than think how can I come up with my own ideas using proven principles.

Not what is referred to a suicide front end - that's what you call a single cross spring with a high or protruding center mount.
This is a Ford truck front axle, the grille gives you a clue as to the year - late 40's, early 50's. Mounts have been welded to the axle (batwings) for the 4 bars to bolt to, and mounts for the quarter elliptic springs and friction shocks. It seems to be a fairly well thought out setup, personally I would have trimmed off the old leaf spring mounts as well to clean up the appearance.

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to decide if I should try and duplicate that set up or just buy the kit from speedway. I think what i need is only about $500 from speedway just going to be on a tight budget.

We're all on a tight budget on RRR. And the ones that aren't are just cheap SOB's. :p

Are you stuck on that particular design or just looking at sticking the axle out front? I noticed he hid the springs inside the rails too - helps keep it clean looking.

(Also helps if you get more specific in your thread title.)

Latest posts

Back