Some of my old Studes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SprayBomb

Hey guys, I got a couple new Studes
I got two M-16's (they have M-5/M-15 bumpers though)

And today I got bored, so I threw on my old Hobart welder & a old Ford flat bed on one

2008_08080005.jpg

2008_08080007.jpg

2008_08080009.jpg

2008_08080013.jpg

The other one has a dump bed
2008_08080014.jpg

Somewhere in the late 40's to early 50's
They were originally produced to weld up the war ships, hence the HUGE amperage
But from what I can tell mine is a civilian version or has been modified slightly, I believe the Navy versions would have had a magneto & maybe something else different, but mine has a dizzy which could have been swapped out at any time so I dont really know

There is almost no info about the old monsters anymore, but there is one old guy that somebody told me about (if he's still alive) that knows a lot about them

It will need A LOT of work to be functional, but I plan to re do it some day :cool:
I wanna build some louvered side covers & a custom side panel with gauges & starter switch, paint it black with some flames & either some zoomies or some other cool exhaust & maybe a dual carb intake if I can find one
The truck will have some aluminum fuel tanks from a big rig painted instead of polished

I havent decided if I like the welder sat sideways like that or not as its SO wide, I may run it length ways & make a custom flat bed the wraps around it

Cool thing is I only paid $50 bucks for the welder a few years ago :D

I plan to get them running & play with them, if I ever start a welding company I will prolly use it for big jobs
As for the dumper, I will do the same thing

The 1/2 ton runs & drives but needs brakes & stuff, I have the original wheels & one of the bug trucks has an original Studebaker radio that I will put in it
I do have a bed for it on another truck, but I dont want to put it on the green one cuz the other truck is logo'd with stuff like Conoco Uhaul & some other cool stuff

But my uncle has a bed that Im going to try & buy

I have 2 others that I have plans for also :rolleyes:

Thanks

I also have another 1/2 ton that I plan to make a 4x4 out of & have one of the military truck windshields for it (they flip open) Its all rusty & beat, but its really cool because of the old logos it has on it

The green truck I am prolly gonna do a resto mod with :cool:

if it was me i would just leave that welder wright where it is if you stick it on lengthwise it will take up a lot of room and I think the way that it is rite now just looks cool

Thanks

I kinda like it on there sideways too, but it makes it hard to get to stuff like the dizzy being so close to the cab & it makes the truck lean easily as its SO heavy

I think if I wind up mounting it sideways, Ima build a new frame to go under it that has big notches in it so it sits over the frame as much as possible, which will help the center of gravity & make it possible to see out the rear window
And I'll prolly move it back a few inches, to make it easier to get to the engine & put more of its weight on the rear instead of on the front

I may move it back far enough to mount the oxy/acet bottles in front of it

I have a buddy that said he found a welder a long time ago that said Studebaker on it or was powered by a Stude or something like that, I would LOVE to have it for one of these trucks !!!!

If I do wind up running it lenthways, I think it would help with the truck not swaying so bad & I would build a flat bed around it with it dropped down in the middle, that way I could haul pipe beside it & not be loosing any of the beds length
But that may make it kinda hard to reach the controls & stuff
Whatever I do, I have plenty of time to play with it & make it look & work well :cool:

The 2 new truck are pretty odd really, they are very un-rusty compared to most, but unfortunately that sat under trees & over time & a few storms the cabs have gotten pretty beat up

Latest posts

Back