Something u've *never* seen B4!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Here is something I doubt anyone here has ever seen. A buddy of mine from high school bought this in the early 70's. When Warner Brothers Studios was in trouble they were selling off everything they could so my buddy picked this one up. It is a 1936 Ford WB mobile recording studio & was put out to pasture because it was tube tech & outdated. There were 8 of these trucks made & this one recorded the sound for many incredible movies including I believe "Rebel Without a Cause" with James Dean. He has a picture of Dean standing in front of the truck with the rest of the cast. It is fenced off in a warehouse & he didn't have the keys with him to get inside the enclosure but I will be going back next week to go inside & take some closer shots of the motor, interior etc. The truck has been in storage for 30 years & I am gonna send the photos to Barret-Jackson... I'm sure they'll be interested. This truck has an incredible documented history. It has had 2 owners... Jack Warner & my buddy (The title has Warner's original signature on it... incredible!!!)! I haven't seen it since the 70's & he was good enough to let me catch a peek today. He also has a really nice '59 Vette. To b continued...

BoB

Attachments

• wbfront.jpg
    wbfront.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 134
  • wbfrontside.jpg
    wbfrontside.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 102
  • wblogo.jpg
    wblogo.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 128
  • wbtopview.jpg
    wbtopview.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Truckin'!!!

B/J should be able to get a lot of money for it.

Flat... I can only imagine & am very interested to see what B-J has to say!

I checked my inventory, and no I don't have one of those.
Great story keep us posted.

I can't wait to get close to it & take more fotos & get in touch with B-J. If my buddy decides to sell it there... I'm goin'!!!!!!!

BoB

that is really really cool. kinda one of those things you can't do much with though, really for a collector or a museum. If barret isn't interested I bet the smithsonian blackhawk museum in ca would be. they restore old cars like these and display them. It's a pretty cool museum.

That's one of the coolest things I've seen in a while. Do you know if all of the equipment is still in place on the inside? That's a nice piece of automotive history right there.

Not sure!

That's one of the coolest things I've seen in a while. Do you know if all of the equipment is still in place on the inside? That's a nice piece of automotive history right there.

Gastrick,
Not sure about the equipment. I believe RCA owned the equipment but am not sure if it's still inside. The equipment ran on battery power. The motor charged up the batteries between filming so the set would be quiet. I'm supposed to go back over next Tues or Wed... I can't wait!

BoB

Very cool...

Thanks for sharing this, that is one very cool piece of history.
Looking forward to the upcoming pictures...... '22

Holy cow, if that thing could talk, I bet it could tell some tales. :D What an interesting car and story. Does you buddy ever show it? I agree that this thing is museum potential. You are right, I have never seen anything like it.

Please get us more pictures.

Don

Yep!!!

It needs red wheels......................................................

T,
Actually... I believe they actually came with red wheels. I'm supposed to go over to take the closeups tomorrow & will check on that!

BoB

More!!!

I took more pictures of my buddy's truck today... the motor is absolutely bone stock! Interior bone stock too... a little dusty but totally awesome!

BoB

Attachments

• motor&rad.jpg
    motor&rad.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 40
  • bigint.jpg
    bigint.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 40
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 22
  • introof.jpg
    introof.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 27
  • int2front.jpg
    int2front.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 33
More!!!

Here are some pictures of the rest of the truck... RCA took their equiptment out B4 the truck was sold but on the rear is connections for the sound equiptment. Look how pristine the doors are!
The round side window rolled down & has a screen that is still with the truck. The back door also sports the hand painted WB logo.

BoB

Attachments

• insidedoor.jpg
    insidedoor.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 22
  • backoftruck.jpg
    backoftruck.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 36
  • elecpanel.jpg
    elecpanel.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 36
  • backdoor.jpg