Sometimes you get lucky...and other times...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Crown

Not so much.

Was driving down Deerfoot ( EnglishBob will know ) today to go to metal supermarket to get some more material for the bike build.

I'm in the inside lane, see traffic slowing down, and eventually come to a complete stop. Apparently, there was an accident ahead about a couple miles.

Look in my rearview, and see a red honda civic and then BAM! I get thrown into the car in front, and then I get hit again...the guy behind the red civic hits him, and red civic slams into me again...

The civic was going about 90km/h (55mph???) when he hit me...just to give you perspective, I had a brand new sealed box of screws in my toolbag beside me...the box flew out of the toolbag and exploded in the cab. Screws everywhere, down the back of my shirt even.

So, after the fuzz in my brain cleared, I got out and asked the people in the car I hit if they were ok. The wife in the passenger seat was 6 months pregnant. After the paramedics came, they determined she was ok.

Nobody asked me if I was ok, even though I was the guy who got hit the hardest. That wasn't very nice.

I was pretty shaken up, still am. I went to the doctor and ended up with a mild concussion, and grade 3 whiplash. There's only grades 1 to 4, and grade means forward and back motion, which isn't good...I'll be pretty sore for the next week or so. Yay for painkillers.

So, out of a 5 car pileup, with me being in the middle of it all, my truck and the red civic took the most damage. But, I was able to drive home, and red civic had to be hauled away. Haha.

VERY thankful to be alive today. Even more thankful that I didn't have my best friend, my dog Bear with me. The result of this may have been far far worse. I'm still a bit in shock, and I'm in a good amount of pain, but glad I'm able to tell you guys, my friends about my day.

Whew. On to the carnage.

My front bumper, not too bad, but smashed in about 5 inches.

6BD7AA96-E85A-4F33-8CB4-C4207AA3558E-386-0000001C13A79114.jpg

My rear bumper didn't get as lucky...this may very well write my truck off. The best part was the cops let me drive home like this, with my plate upside down and under the bed. Haha

17EB82F1-FFE2-411B-9626-86A2AC493967-386-0000001BBCF0CE45.jpg

Here's the culprit civic...that's what you get for hitting a Ford. Haha

1469106E-F24C-4E1B-B0E4-894EE2883B5E-386-0000001C442AE910.jpg

And the car in front of me...he drove away too. And very glad pregnant lady was ok.

BA60A4AC-203D-42A1-959D-5E4AE5FE12D8-386-0000001C62326217.jpg

Whiplash is fun! I think I have it permanantly lol.

Glad everyone walked away!

Ahh, the notorious Deerfoot 500... Calgary's answer to Death Race 2000. :eek:

I'm glad you "walked away" and nobody was seriously injured or killed. That said, whiplash can be a source of endless grief. Keep all your documentation and doctor's reports. DO NOT settle with insurance on personal injury, period. Seek legal advice. Take it from a guy with an old spinal injury, it can affect you for the rest of your life. :(

Ahh, the notorious Deerfoot 500... Calgary's answer to Death Race 2000. :eek:

I'm glad you "walked away" and nobody was seriously injured or killed. That said, whiplash can be a source of endless grief. Keep all your documentation and doctor's reports. DO NOT settle with insurance on personal injury, period. Seek legal advice. Take it from a guy with an old spinal injury, it can affect you for the rest of your life. :(

Darn good advice from the Dr. yet again.

I'm actually well versed in the whiplash department. Once from snowboarding and having a bit too much "kodak courage". The second was an indoor soccer injury, which landed me in the hospital with a cracked vertebrae, which healed without a halo or surgery thank goodness. So today, when I came to my senses, I knew exactly what I was dealing with.

Doctor's notes, prescriptions, physio...all are documented and will be kept.

The red car, failed to provide proof of current insurance...which scares me a bit. All involved may get screwed over big time. I also don't carry collision on my truck, so if the truck is kaput...hopefully his insurance will come to bat and take care of what needs to be taken care of.

About 7 years ago, I was in a very serious motorcycle accident where a 80 year old lady drove across the street while I was already approaching the intersection. I laid the bike down, and that's all I remember. I survived with a few bumps and scrapes and broken bones. I felt ok a few months later, and settled out of court. Still to this day, I have a few issues with my hand that I broke, but not much I can do. I can still work, and I didn't feel like dragging the poor old lady through more grief.

So, through that experience, I've got a pretty good sense of what to do. I've already got a phone number to a great lawyer, so if things get out of hand...I'm going to paste the guy who hit me to the wall.

I'm already ticked that I'll probably not be working next week...and no time in the garage either...and if this ends up being a long drawn out battle, it's a bummer, but I'll do my best to come out aces.

Yes, glad you are not more seriously hurt!
I think you can straighten out that bumper, nothing wrong with the sheet metal on the truck, or so it appears from the pics...

Glad to here every one is pretty much ok. good luck with the whiplash I hear it takes a little while to heal from that. Hope the people had good insurance to help get you through it.

Yes, glad you are not more seriously hurt!
I think you can straighten out that bumper, nothing wrong with the sheet metal on the truck, or so it appears from the pics...

Took the truck to the carwash today to get a better look at the damage...

Things look worse now that the truck is clean. Hood is dented pretty good, front bumper is toast. Rear bumper is non exsistent. Passenger rear quarter is cracked in two spots. Tailgate is bent pretty good.

Being that the truck is only worth maybe a grand at most, I'd imagine the damage exceeds that by quite a bit.

Feeling pretty sore and really sleepy today. Going to work tomorrow, but that might be short lived. X-rays are on the agenda tomorrow, and getting the police report from the crash. Interested to see how the report comes out. I'm not at fault, at least I'm pretty sure I didn't cause this chaos. :rolleyes:

3D905925-7B6C-470B-B814-4B845B7C5073-386-000000C61049569F.jpg

C74DF211-62CD-4350-8B18-395C12DCD534-386-000000C619B8EC50.jpg

512705FC-5EA0-4F97-89BC-BBA4E01D4A73-386-000000C5F8E7F7D6.jpg

04369ED2-3A6A-4B72-826F-B62B1F23B903-386-000000C6082F1DB4.jpg

6B517C3F-75B2-44C2-8962-1A7894475DFA-386-000000C600F5072F.jpg

Because nothing has been done with insurance yet, I have to drive the truck around town like this. I'm super embarrassed. :mad:

How long do you have to wait? I'd take a pile of pics, cut that bumper off and chuck it in the bed.

Hopefully not long. I'll pick up the police report tomorrow, and send it off to my insurance so they can take the appropriate actions against the civic driver.

I had asked about the bumper, and my adjuster said to leave it this way until I get a quote to fix the damage. Being that the bumper is attached to the frame...it's a crapshoot as to the extent of the damage. If I mess with it, I could be accused of damaging things by removing the bumper.

I can't see things going in my favour...:(

OK. Remember my cousin in Calgary? He's a body man. I don't know where he works but if you need a shop's quote and/or some good advice maybe he can help. PM me if you like.

Latest posts

Back