Spark Plugs??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAT IHC

I've been out of tuning game for a while and I'm getting ready to fire the motor soon and I'm trying to figure out what plugs to use. It's a 283 +.030 on the bore. L79 flat tappet cam, pertronix ignition. Heads are from a late 80's 305 HO. They have 58cc chambers and the plugs are the tapered style. Hope that's enough for you engine gurus out there.

I've always been a fan of AC Delco plugs and I'm thinking some R45TS plugs will work good, but I'm open for any suggestions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Like I said I haven't tuned an engine like this in a very long time so I don't know anything about new plugs on the market that might work better.

Thanks,

-Troy

Troy, everyone has their favorite brand and Delcos are good plugs. I pulled out the Delcos on my 331 motor a while back and went to NGK V Power plugs. The difference was really noticeable. More power, starts faster, and when I pull them to check them they are staying really clean.

I know our techs in the marine business I was in would only use NGK's, so maybe that is slanting my feelings about them.

Don

The only plug that worked really well for my 350 (with flat top pistons w/ no valve reliefs) and 305 small chamber heads were Accel shorty header plugs.

The Horsepower guys done a plug dyno test about a year ago.
They tested several, E3 and NGK came out on top the results were NGK even out performed E3 by 3 hp.
My favorite is the NGK iridium plug, NGK Spark Plugs 7401 from Summit, pretty pricey but, you may never have to change them again :D
This is on da-bay too 8 for $60.16 shipping n all
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-New-NGK-I...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a6b29339e
Whatever you choose, with the motor you're runnin, start with premium unleaded because of the compression level with the iron heads and a cooler plug than the R45TS more like the equivalent of a R44TS :)
Most people try to run the plugs too hot.

Latest posts

Back