Speedometer for my SBC 350???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelseydum

I've got an SBC 350 with a th400 transmission. I was wondering what type of speedometer I need. The motor is an 84 and came out of a Camero. Is it electric or mechanical and what year/years did they switch from mechanical to electric?

Also, how hard is it to convert a mechanical speedometer to electric? (If it's possible)

It will depend on the transmission. Most likely the TH400 has a mechanical drive, so you will need a mechanical speedo. But you can get an electronic adaptor so you can go either way.

This week I installed an Autometer Electric speedo in my coupe it was so easy it took all of an hour and a half. It's not real cheap but it is so simple you don't have to try to figure out what to change your transmission speedo gear to match tire size.

I guess this is electric? Am I looking in the right spot? Is it hard to convert the mechanical gauge to electric?

speedoHookup.jpg

Looks like the next one back. I just orderer an adapter that came with my guages. Bolts right on there and has three wires coming out of it (still haven't figured out where each one goes:D) . The Speedo gauge comes with a little button that plugs into the back, you push it, drive one mile and then push it again and it is calibrated.

Sounds easy, now if I can just get someone from Stewart Warner on the phone to tell me how to connect the wires.

Sean

I have a 200 6cyl ford with 3 speed stick.I wanted to use it in my last project,but ford made so many speedometer gears that I finally gave up on it and it is still sitting in my shop.Chevy`s are easy to work with.

Latest posts

Back