spool and gearing question.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71rat

So lets say i wanna put a spool in a 9''. The third member that the spool is in is 4.88, and i want 3.23. My truck has 3.23's in it now.

If i just take the spool out of the 4.88 third member, and take the carrier out of my 3.23 third member and replace it with the spool, i wont have to reset my pinion depth, correct? just check gear patterns?

not trying to be rude..but would you really want to put a spool on the street?
it will def. change drivability.....

as far as your question goes....i THINK your right..but maybe someone else knows more than i do...:eek:

BTW i like your truck!

Assuming you're talking about a full spool not a mini spool. You will be ok changing to the spool provided the number of splines is the same as your axles. Check the bolt length, sometimes a spool requires shorter bolts, probably use the bolts that came off the spool. Just bolt the ring gear on and set back lash and check pattern. There are a couple different size carrier bearings so be sure the bearings on the spool are the correct size for the carrier your using.
Warning....running a spool on the street can be very dangerous if you should get caught in a rain storm, you would have to [must] parked it til the street dries!!

yeah i know about spools. ive read alot about them and decided ill try one. Im getting this from a buddy for 200 bucks, complete third member gears and spool all together. if i dont like it, ill sell it and put my open carrier back in.

yeah i know about spools. ive read alot about them and decided ill try one.

Oh really??? Why did you ask the question in the first place? Please excuse me for tryin to give you alittle advice!:mad:

I asked the question to figure out if all i had to do was swap the spool to the 3.23 third and only have to set backlash. I appreciate your advice and i wasnt trying to be a ****. If i came across that way, i appologize.

I know virtually nothing about spools except they lock both shafts together and they go in place of the carrier. all accounts of how i know how they handle is from word of mouth through my off-road buddies.

I have sort of a clue on how to set up gears, but wasnt sure what all was involved to put the spool in, like if i had to re-set-up the third member again. and again, im not in any way trying to be a **** or a know-it-all.

Appology accepted...you seem alittle tense. If I can help with the setup please ask, I've done a few.:)

Ok cool. So backlash for the 9'' is supposed to be what, .08 to .12(might have missed a "0" there...)? And my understanding is that you want to be more towards .08 of that. is that right? If my gear patterns suck but my backlash is within spec, how do i correct that?

Yes .008 to .012 is correct. I usually rotate the ring gear to check it in 3 places. It's quite common to find a .004 difference at 3 places but for a street use setup I would prefer the .012 because on the street the rear will run warmer than say drag strip use. Since you are using the same gears and just installing the spool not changing pinion depth your pattern should not change. If you can't get a good pattern it would indicate the gears might be worn out. If the gear contact area is smooth and shiney the rears are good, if you see a gray look or the metal is peeling off at the edges of the gear teeth this indicates worn out gears.

I may have missed it but what is this going in? If its a rod with a light frontend I can almost guarentee you won't like the spool on the street. I just took one out of my truck I hated the way it steered. I did how-ever like the way you could do do-nuts.

Latest posts

Back