springs?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostedcleveland

im converting my front to run a suicide spring. what do yall recommend for springs. would trailer axle springs or not just curious new to the rat rods[S

Some have used trailer springs but Speedway sells their brand springs so reasonably that that is a good way to go. I've used a couple of theirs and they are fine.

Don

The term suicide is derived from the way the spring is attached to the frame . A completly stock front end can be converted to a suicide one by the way you attach the spring to the frame . From what I have read the original suicide front ends where invented and used by race cars . When one of them failed on a dirt track it was not a complete disaster . It was when hotrodders started using this type of mounting on their street hot rods and they failed the term suicide was coined . When your frame dropped to the pavement when something broke it was akin to commiting suicide . With todays steel and proper welding a suicide type mount is usually safe . The spring is only one part of a complete front end , as Don says springs are not expensive and I see no reason to substitute a trailer spring which was not desigend for front end use for a correct reasonable cost spring . Front end and brakes are two places you don't cut corners or experiment .

i didnt realize how cheap the springs where. like i said i am new to rat rods. i have built several drag cars(mustangs) and several bagged trucks. my son has always loved the rat rods so i figured what the heck. i own a steel fab shop so i have all the equipment to do it. i already have the frame pretty much built. the front end has the spring perches on it so i am going to cut out some bat wings to weld on. thats where the spring question came in. i actually thought about some type of coil over setup or the quarter elliptic setup. i like the looks of all three. this car will be used at the drag strip so i gotta keep that in mind also. thanks for all the input. it is much appreciated

Latest posts

Back