Started wrenching on my 51 f-1 today!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm....

Its been a LONG time T-1..and still no pics...LETS all thank DMW56 for sneaking over there and showing him how to take a pic of a frame...:rolleyes: I am only razzing you..( not really..) but I dont want to hurt his feelings....LMAO.So whos going to do your chop .>??!?? The way I figure it, we BOTH tow our cars over to DMWs and have him show us...HELL I got 3 weeks vacation.He can stand by and yell at us if we do it wrong..uh..you first Pat.:eek: Is it easier to lay the front pillars BACK then trying to piece the roof back together..?Ok...the sun is shining and I GOTTA finish taking mine apart..Uh..anyone know how to get a D A M N steering column out..?!?!?:mad:

Its been a LONG time T-1..and still no pics...LETS all thank DMW56 for sneaking over there and showing him how to take a pic of a frame...:rolleyes: I am only razzing you..( not really..) but I dont want to hurt his feelings....LMAO.So whos going to do your chop .>??!?? The way I figure it, we BOTH tow our cars over to DMWs and have him show us...HELL I got 3 weeks vacation.He can stand by and yell at us if we do it wrong..uh..you first Pat.:eek: Is it easier to lay the front pillars BACK then trying to piece the roof back together..?Ok...the sun is shining and I GOTTA finish taking mine apart..Uh..anyone know how to get a D A M N steering column out..?!?!?:mad:

Sure, bring them over we can assembly line them. I think I know what I'm doing now?:confused::rolleyes:

I think it's easier to just split the roof than leaning the posts back. If not easier just less work which is easier to me. know what I mean Vern. When you lean the posts back you have to do the same to the door frames. But some cabs/cars look really aggressive that way.

As for pics, this frame is just like DMW56's and he was kind enough to share them with us on this thread! Thanks again DMW!! On to other things - Have you ever had one of those weeks when you had to put EVERYTHING you wanted to do on hold??? That was my week last week! :mad: Then to add to it, I FINALLY got the chance yesterday to get my frame out of the shipping crate to see it for the first time and rust proof it and guess what?? They sent the frame with ALL the brackets already welded to it instead of sending them in a separate bag or box like I asked them to. :eek: I needed them seperate so I could place them where I want them for my build. If I was building a traditional T- bucket the frame would work great but this ain't no T-bucket project and they knew that. :eek: I was ****ed off to say the least! :mad: So I contacted Spirit Industries about their major screw up and they are sending another bracket kit free of charge. The brackets that are on there might work the way they are but chances are high that some of them if not all, will have to come off and I'll start over with where they need to be. As it stands, I think the only brackets that might be ok are the front and rear hairpin brackets, the trans. mount and the rear coilover brackets.

Thunder1

Well guys, It's been a loooooong time since I've posted anything related to my 51 f1 pickup build. Thankfully, things are starting to slowly fall into place for me financially and I'm actually buying a few more parts and just last night I got a Chevy 10 bolt rear end AND a running 350 Chevy & TH350 tranny just given to me!! The donor truck is destined for a total rebuild into a drag truck. Next week my frame and 51 cab are going into the shop about an hour north of me and we're going to get down to business with the build. I'm really excited to get moving on it. I actually have my wife to thank for introducing me to a co-worker who then introduced me to a friend who gave me the parts and is going to help me with the build. it's all just worked out great so far. We spent several hours last night at his shop discussing the plans for the build and clearing out some space to move my frame and cab into. I guess the first thing we'll have to do is get my frame ready to start on. Despite my directions, It came from the builder a little over built with all the brackets welded up for a 27 T-bucket. Most of those have to come off now before I can go any further. I'll post pictures as soon as we get it moved and we get started on it.

Thunder1

The universe has corrected the imbalance and Pat is falling into synch with his project.
Hope there will be a ripple effect :)

That's pretty much how I see it too earthman! :D It's about time right? :D Lots of patience and simply refusing to give up will pay off if you just stay with it. By the way, thanks for all the encouragement - all you guys! This is going to be one heck of an adventure for all of us here. My buddy has years of experience building drag boats and race cars and working as a heavy equipment mechanic but he's never done a rat rod. He can even get steel and a lot of parts at cost too! :eek: He's about as excited as I am to get going on this. He's been wanting to build something like this for a long time but just never got serious about it until now. He told me last night he's gonna start looking for a truck project for himself real soon. Funny how things work out. There were plenty of times I didn't think I'd ever get moving on this and now I've already encouraged somebody else to start looking for his own project. I feel good about that. :)

Give me a little time and I'll get pictures as soon as we get my truck moved to the shop.

Thunder1

That's great news. I know how frustrated you've been the last couple of months and good to hear thing are turning around for you. Hope you continue on your current path. See you in a coupe month Buddy!

DMW

If your buddy

Is looking for a REAL nice cab and doesnt mind a little travel time involved I have a listing he can look at.Its located in GA.but I never found out exactly where.The cab looks solid too,he told me 600.00.AND IF we dont see pics..we are coming down to roll it out and push each other around in it...:D:D:D

I'll pass that along BadRATT! Thanks! Actually, he's been looking already and he's found a couple to go look at. If the weather holds up this weekend we are supposed to go check on them. I don't even know what they are yet??? All I do know is both trucks are pre-1950.

Thunder1

It's been a looooong time since I've posted any updates on my 51 f1 project but times have been tough and my parts buying has been on hold for several months due to starting a new job and making less money. However things appear to be picking back up and my frame is now in a buddies shop and we're getting ready to start on mocking things up. I'll get some pictures posted soon. The Spirit Industries frame is still set up for a 27 BBC T-bucket so the majority of the existing brackets will have to be removed and new ones relocated. I have to get my cab up there too sometime soon so I'll get pictures of all of it when I do.

Extremely slow progress is better than no progress!!!

Ok Gastrick, here are a few pictures. Since I've been financially handicapped for the past few months, I've tried to at least stay motivated by doing small little things that hopefully will make a big difference in the quality of my overall build. Even doing the little things I can afford no matter how small keeps me interested and at least moving toward the goal.

Frustration and boredom can be a detriment or you can use it to broaden your imagination. That's how my street light hood scoop and battery box came to be. Both were born out of pure frustration! :D Here's another example. I came across a product called "Rust Arrestor" made by Insul-x, at work. We used it to prime and rust proof old iron fences prior to re-painting them. I soon found out that this stuff might be useful on my truck to at least slow down the deterioration. ( I know - that's a sacrilege but it's not all bad). So I bought a gallon of it to try on the interior body panels. It worked so good I decided to keep going and well, I have to admit, I love the way it turned out! The rust is still visible but it's now permanantly stabilized and waterproof and the overall effect looks really good at least to me. Here's a few before and after shots of my cab.

Before:

Attachments

• Misc 8-24-08 137.jpg
    Misc 8-24-08 137.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Misc 8-24-08 133.jpg
    Misc 8-24-08 133.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Misc 8-24-08 136.jpg
    Misc 8-24-08 136.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Some progress is better than no progress - Part II

Here are the "After" pictures. The difference is apparent. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

I'd like to hear some feedback!

Thunder

Attachments

• Hunter's Car Show 4-4-09 386.jpg
    Hunter's Car Show 4-4-09 386.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Hunter's Car Show 4-4-09 387.jpg
    Hunter's Car Show 4-4-09 387.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Hunter's Car Show 4-4-09 389.jpg
    Hunter's Car Show 4-4-09 389.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 30