steel is getting expensive

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

24dodge

One of the Dodge brothers
I`ve been wanting one of those Hurst type motor mounts and I`ve been watching them on ebay , but they always sold for alot of $$ , decided I could make one pretty easily so I stopped to get a pc. of 1/4" thick plate 12 inches wide 48 inches long , cost me $45 !!! oh well I have enough left to make a few more. here`s a pic

Attachments

• IM000632.JPG
    IM000632.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 57
That's a real nice engine mount plate that you've made there 24. Plenty of welding and grinding huh? I'm in with the price of metal being high lately. Normally I fab up most everything I need but now days I find myself weighing the cost of the raw metal against the price of buying a part already made. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to make the part. I save all of my scraps too.

Are you taking the 24 to Daytona?

I don`t think it will be finished , still have to wire it and fab up the brake lines and alot of little jobs ..... should be there with it next year hopefully

Boy, George Hurst had nothing on you......looks good. :D:D You are right, steel is up significantly. What we have started doing is going through the "drop" section at our local steel supply house. That is where they put cut off sections from jobs, and the price is really a lot better. The last time I picked out some steel the guy said "just put some money in the coffee fund over there and we will be square."

I'm like Gastrick, we save all the scraps now and recycle them. Even the price the scrap yards are paying for junk steel is way up........I hauled some stuff there a few months ago and got $ 55 for it which was a surprise. A similar load before that was lucky to bring $ 20.

Don

Iron

I'm A dumster diver
They are allways trowing stuff away at work so I get out of the dumster
Also the local scrap yard has lots of new steel for sale at scrap prices
It has a little rust but we like rust right:cool:

Great saw

Have you guys tried the Craftsman Twin Blade Saw
Man this thing will cut 1/4 inch plate faster than a skill saw will cut plywood
And the cut is clean
Cut my whishbones today it was like cutting butter
you need to try this saw:eek:

I haven't tried that hillbilly but we have a circular saw that has a similar blade that is designed for cutting metal. The thing is amazing. Cuts through steel like butter.

Nice Job..

Hey, thats a nice job on the mount, 24.
Looks clean and strong...
I've been collecting scraps for a while now, prices are getting up there.

My Son just bought one of those, I had never seen one before. He is taking his back because he tried using it to cut the forth wall out of some 2 x 4 tubing to build a new frame, and it kept trying to eat his leg. He said "this thing is either going to work or kill me" and he decided it was the latter. :eek::eek:

I'm glad you had good luck with yours, and I am equally happy his is going back because I really was afraid for him as I watched him trying to use it. He finally decided to have the local steel supply house brake up some tapered pieces like he needed.

Don

I made mine wide so it would sit up on top of the frame rails with out the angled brackets , i`ll box the frame there and use rubber bushings between it and the frame , it also will get the engine up a little higher in the chassis for more ground clearence. If it doesn`t work i`ll cut it up and make something else out of it.

Motor mounts

Hey 24 motor mounts look good!
I made mine too.I have since added a loop under neath to tie the two together.I mounted mine with rubber mounts from Speedway!

Attachments

• drivers side motor mount.jpg
    drivers side motor mount.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 10
  • front veiw of motor mt.jpg
    front veiw of motor mt.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Motor mount.jpg
    Motor mount.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 8
  • pass side motor mount.jpg
    pass side motor mount.jpg