Steering Help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banjoman

46 International Pickup setting on 1972 Chevy P/U frame was wondering about how to go about selecting a steering colum, what do i measure and what do i look for? thanks in advance in any help you guys can give.

i like to use chevy tilt columns [dont have to be a tilt ] but you can make just about any thing work .why cant you use the column that came out of the 72 chevy?
Try to stay away from haveing to use joints ,can be exspencive !
Or you could cut the end off of the international column and put a bearing or machine a bushing with a grease zerk and put it back in and figure out the rest!!
i usually do whats cheapest and safest though.

I am with CT, I like the 72 chevy, since you have it. If you are looking to use the IH wheel, then you have to marry the two. So you have the steering box, and the old shaft coming off that. And you have the IH shaft. You can use U-Joints at the place where they intersect each other, if it is out of line too much. Modern cars usually have a slip joint, so the wheel will collapse in an accident. As far as inside the cab if you are starting from scratch, you have a lot of options. The most simple and cheapest, (unless you have parts on hand) is to use a bearing and 3/4 inch shaft. Speedway motors offer both, but it depends on the wheel you want to use. Flaming River is the high dollar version of any combo here, and is worth looking at just to get a sense of what you need.

thanks guys, as far as the int steering, the wheel was broke and the chevy the colum was bent or something, the wheel would not stay straight, it wabbled when you turn it... i was kinda wanting to go with maybe a tilt and with colum shift and turn siganls built in,,,any sugetions with that said??

Gm tilts [as fare as i know ]in the 70's and early 80's are easy to get and to work on but just about all that you will find will need to be takin apart and re tightined on the tilt part[i recommend useing lock tight]it's really not all that hard after you've done it once.ha,ha.
you can use one out of just about any gm vehickle but you may have to change the wires that go to the turnsignals [some times]and the best part is they are telescopic and can be made to fit just about any length you need
Ive done this several times [but i'm not so good at explaining things ]and i would be glade to help if i can.
oh yea,the early tilts are easyer to work on!but seem harder for me to find.

Latest posts

Back