Steering Wheel?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_J

Trey and I just picked up a SBC 350 for the truck and the guy we bought it from gave Trey a steering wheel. It doesn't appear to be an early Ford because it's splined and not keyed. The guy thought it was early Chrysler. Anyone seen one like this? We need to identify the spline so we can see about building a column.

Thanks for looking,
Paul & Trey

SteeringWheel.jpg

Every co. must have had one because Austins,VW's fords. So not sure who made it.lol

Austin A40 Devon

5719208449_0bcf8c3a9d_z.jpg

Ford banjo wheel but has key
LH11_r2717_01.jpg

VW
316%20020.jpg

Last edited:
Still looking. I have found a Packard that is similar but still not the same. Does anyone know the spline diameter and count on the early chevy columns?

Idea about your wheel

Hey guys see if you can determine the thread size for the two holes the puller would use. If they are SAE not Metric then at least you maybe could eliminate any foreign vehicles. The spline count would also help. Just an idea so good luck. Steve

That sounds real close. I'll put a set of calipers in there and see if that's the ticket. I have someone who will give me an early Chevy column but I don't have access to it yet.

Thanks for the info.

Paul

Tr3a ??

Here's a pic of the steering wheel in my freinds 62 TR3A Triumph. He said the production date is 1959 but it's titled as a 62. I guess it took em' a while to sell all the 59's because everyone was waiting for the TR4 to come out.

Attachments

• IMAG1047.jpg
    IMAG1047.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMAG1046.jpg
    IMAG1046.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 19
Here's what I came up with so far. The small end of the spline is .656, the large end of the spline is about .765. It also has 36 splines.

Looks like the Dr. might have the prescription with the early GM column.

I found a Patent no. 2,073,822. I did a search and it looks like this wheel was manufactured by a company that made wheels for all of the big automakers. Several banjo style wheels of various manufactures including Ford have this pat. no. on them.

I just did a search and some of the Morris wheels were close but most of them were keyed instead of splined. I have yet to find an exact match. Were going with an early Chevy column to make it work. We came up with an idea to refinish the rim and I'll share the info if it works.

Rim refinishing

Hey guys I was poking around Eastwood Company web site and they have several steering wheel repair kits available. They are not cheap. I used one several years ago from, I don't where, and it worked very good. Just a thought.
Steve

Latest posts

Back