Stuck!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilJohnson

o218251669.jpg

Saturday there was a wicked blizzard that went through. When I woke up this morn there were drifts everywhere. I looked at the trusty F100 and fired it up. Since I am a lazy cuss I decided not to try and shovel my way out first. Well I was going good for a while by slowly backing up and going forward. The truck was tracking in the ruts decently enough. Well it worked until I had to get around the other cars in the driveway. The truck sorta slid off the crown of the driveway. Then I fired up the tractor and pulled it back, ran over the driveway a bunch of times and then tried getting the truck out again. This time I got out. While out and about I took some pictures:

o218251679.jpg

o218252077.jpg

Little did I know that I would get stuck once again, but this time in the middle of the road :mad: Everything was going good as I was coming back home. The road wasn't plowed but there were some decent tracks to follow. Then I seen the tracks up the road were drifted in :eek: I couldn't turn around because the snow was too deep outside the tracks. I gunned the gas and the rear of the truck starts sliding all over. Finally it can't go anywhere and it is stuck right in the middle of the road :(

o218251735.jpg

o218251734.jpg

o218251736.jpg

I tried backing up and making tracks but it just didn't work. I gave up and decided to walk home and get something to unstuck myself. I had bought some gas to fill up the tractor and snow blower. Knowing I'd need it I brought it with me. My shoulder was quite sore after trekking home with a full five gallon can of gas. I decided the 51 Chevy would be the best thing to get me out. It is quite heavy and I had put some NDT's on this fall. Plus it would be a warmer ride compared to sitting on the little VAC tractor.

I put some gas in it and got it out. My Dad had just arrived to help me with my house so he followed me back out. The dump truck had no problem with the snow although it did help some that someone had went through with a pickup and plow. Why they decided to plow a little path down the road I'll never know. The Chevy sorta made a mess of the nice little plowing job since the duallies are so wide but I still was able to easily get the F100 out of the snowy clutches of the drifts :D

o218251737.jpg

You had a shovel and didn't try to use it?? No chains?/ My 2wd has them in the back year round. Doesn't look like a person who grew up where that is typical winter weather. And you know all that snow you drove over and packed down will be 4 inches of ice that has to melt.

You had a shovel and didn't try to use it?? No chains?/ My 2wd has them in the back year round. Doesn't look like a person who grew up where that is typical winter weather. And you know all that snow you drove over and packed down will be 4 inches of ice that has to melt.

Heh, I've lived here all my life. I tried using the shovel alright. Didn't do much [S I wasn't too far from the house (half mile) so I figured I would get it out the easy way. I do have a bit of weight in the back of the truck. Tire chains are illegal in Wisconsin (along with studded tires) :rolleyes: Someone else had driven over the snow before me hence the tracks. I wasn't the only person packing snow :p

You had a shovel and didn't try to use it?? No chains?/ My 2wd has them in the back year round.

CHAINS? I hav'nt seen them on a pickup for years , reminds me of a '53 Ford coupe I bought from an old man, had extra snow tires and a set of chains in the trunk. Use 'em? hell yea! Last night They closed I90 from Albert Lea, Mn to the S.D. border . Still a few folks thought they could get through on old 16, get stuck and call the cops to get rescued!

I have only used my chains when I go off road to cut wood. Most of the time my all wheel drive Aerostar is my daily driver.
I drove the same 2wd for 16 years when I lived in Alaska and only got pulled out twice. I had a posi and kept some weight in it and it would push through bumper deep snow if you took it easy. I did have to shovel a few times tho, lol. And I studded my own tires with 360 studs per tire, 7 scratch lines, never had chains for it. I really miss that truck.
Yeah, I90 get nasty here too, they've already closed it over the Wyoming line once. We were up to Deadwood Friday night and it was pretty nasty, lots of cars in the ditch and they were pulling trucks up the hill coming out of town. Lots of people who have lived here all their life still don't realize it's winter until they are bouncing off a guardrail.

Good choice to use the ol' Chevy to pull the Ford home. I had a VA Case tractor, we hooked it back-to-back to a '56 Dodge car, and the car dragged it backwards easy! Good little yard tractor, but it wouldn't pull the hat off your head.
BTW, ya wanna talk snow, in '75 I had to probe for my '72 Camino with a broomstick. Didn't want to hit it with the snow blower tractor! The roof was down about 2 feet below the drift. My neighbor was plowing his yard with a D7 Cat and forgot that he'd parked his CJ3A Jeep in front of the shop. He remembered when it rolled up above the blade! Not a pretty sight.

One time when I lived in Pittsburgh I flew out of town on business and left my car at the airport. It snowed while I was away and when I got back I couldn't find my car in the parking lot, but knew I left it next to a light pole. Finally, I see this big pile of snow next to one pole, and started digging into it with my brief case, like a shovel. The snow plows had been going by all week and they buried my car! :eek:

After some digging I got the door to open, climbed in, and got it started. As I drove out of this huge mountain of snow I looked like that VW commercial where the snow plow operator is driving his Bug out of a mound of snow. :D By now the snow on the highways had melted and people must have gotten a good laugh watching me drive along with 3 feet of snow on top of the whole car, with only a hole cut for me to look out the windshield.:eek:

Like I said earlier, I NEVER want to see snow again.

Don

remember hearing (maybe a joke) but fella talk n about how much he hated the cold and snow. said he was gonna tie a snow shovel on top the car and head south. when someone asked him what it was, he d be home.. seen some cold here but no moisture. and we need some. stay warm..

cold

heck I live in central Fla and the forcast is for 28 degrees tonight,sucks. One good thing about your situation the camoflage isn"t working so you could find the truck!:cool:

Latest posts

Back