stumped! new motor.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildcat

I rebuilt the flathead 6 in my 51 plymouth, all stock. got it back in and cant get it to turn over fast enough to start. the starter was rebuilt while the motor was out, has a new battery & solenoid . it will barely crank over, if i pull all the plugs out it turns over fine......any advice will helpful thanks

If you are having trouble spinning it with spark and gas, your timing may be too high. If it will not spin due to compression with the plugs installed, you will need more umph. Make sure the wiring is heavy enough and connections are good.

im using heavy gauge connections from battery to solenoid and from solonoid to starter,the ground is a smaller gauge. can i jump it from a 12 volt system? the timing was set up at TDC when i assembled the motor, the distributer dropped in with the rotor in the 7 oclock position .im using a motor manual for 46 to 61 plymouth

Sounds like the timing is off to me too. Plus check to make sure the ground is big enough and has a good clean connection. Good luck and I hope you get it fired up soon. No other feeling like it!..[cl...CR

Can you turn this motor over fine with a breaker bar on the front of the engine with the plugs in it? If you can't there is a mechanical problem with the motor. If you can then there is a electrical problem.

Did you use new pistons on this rebuild? One problem I have seen several times is the old pistons we used and all the carbon was not cleaned from the ring grooves. This keeps the rings from going into the groove all the way and it drags the cylinder wall.

Try removing the plugs and squirt a shot of oil in the hole and let it set for an hour or two and try again.

i did put new pistons & rings, i did a complete rebuild. i can turn the motor over by hand no problem. the machine shop i used installed the cam & valves,i put the rest of it together i used a prelube on the main bearings soaked the new pistons &rings in 30 wt oil before installation. ill try a bigger ground wire & a little oil in the spark plug holes. if i disconnect the wires to the generator can i jump start it connecting directly to the solonoid

Six volt? If so its not something I'd make a steady diet of, but I used to jump my 51 chevy 6 volt truck with my mom's 12v 72 dodge, the starter turned over REAL good. Like I say probably not a great practice but I know it works and I'm told farmers used to use 8 volts on them without a problem. Otherwise I'd say yeah timing advanced a bit much and with the tight motor that could slow things down as its trying to fire with the piston coming up. Or as mentioned to small of a ground and bad connection, it can't be to many things. If it was something mechanical I would think you'd hear it and if anything was hitting anything I doubt it would even turn over.

Regards,

Rev. D.

That is great that it turns over ok with a breaker bar. Is the battery grounded to the engine or to the frame? Try pulling the coil wire to see if it spins faster. If if spins fine with the coil wire pulled it is a timing issue.

You can take a set of jumper cables and double up the ground to an additional place on the block. Yes you can jump straight to the solenoid. Yes, 12 volts is OK to the starter. If you have not succeeded by now, loosen the distributor lock down and rotate it, while starting, in the direction the rotor is turning. The amount will be small if you are in the ball park. Be ready for a possible backfire, if you are advanced too much. An engine will pull a small carb fire back into the engine, if you can stay on the starter. I do not think you have any mechanical binding. It sounds like a new engine, getting enough voltage and the spark right.

let us know how you do.
good luck,

If you want to set the timing before trying the above, put hot to the ignition, with the dist cap off, the engine set at TDC or 6* past, rotor pointing toward #1 plug wire terminal on the cap, turn the dist until the points break and arc. Snug the dist down enough to keep it from moving, loose enough to turn. Your timing should be real close.

heres what I found, the starter did'nt disengage. pulled the inspection cover off & the bendix gear was jammed up tight against the ring gear. the shoulder behind the bendix gear was even touching the ring gear. pulled the starter & bench tested it & the bendix gear is staying out , it spins but dos'ent retract. wondering why its engaging so far. the ring gear was was just put on the flywheel, and the starter was just rebuilt. car started just fine before i started rebuilding stuff

Weak bendix spring... But it still oughta start. Was it a rebuilt starter (dumb question, probably most certainly was), return and get a new one something ain't right, might even be the contacts which are supposed to supply power to the starter motor when the bendix is thrown into the ring gear. Sounds like a badly rebuilt starter to me.

Regards,

Rev. D.

thanks for all the info, i had to go out of town last week for work so im back at it today. im going to check my timing using the instructions posted by rail road, i know the firing order is 153624 , is that starting at the front of the motor & going back?

thanks for all the info, i had to go out of town last week for work so im back at it today. im going to check my timing using the instructions posted by rail road, i know the firing order is 153624 , is that starting at the front of the motor & going back?

Yes
good luck,

Did they shave down the block or the head? If so that can raise the compression enough to make the starter drag against the resistance of the higher compression. [P

Latest posts

Back