stupid question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownbagg

when the factory built the cars, they must has some type of blue print of all the dimensions and shapes. Are there any place to get copies of old model vehicles? like 20's, 30's, 40's models

I can at least vouche for the early Ford stuff, Model t, A's, Dueces. Copy's of prints for frame dimensions etc., are all over the internet readily available, just google search what your looking for. In fact there is usually a cat selling prints on e-bay. Never a stupid question, good luck BB. Torque.

I just search and search again. If that wont work ask some one to take measurements off the car they own

Attachments

• 30-31-Coupe-small.jpg
    30-31-Coupe-small.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 81aee1ca.jpg
    81aee1ca.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 8
  • AFrame-B.jpg
    AFrame-B.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 7
They are called assembly manuals and I think restorers use them for those high point restorations. I've heard they tell you at the exact point in assembly that every component, nut and bolt was installed.

Wescott has prints of some frames. www.wescottauto.com Body dimensions are hard to come by, I've tried myself. I bought a book with a lot of the Ford bodies, but it only has a few measurements, no where near what would be needed to map out a fiberglass mold or anything like that. What I have done, and it's surprisingly accurate, is use a plastic scale model of the vehicle you want. 1/25 scale is the most popular, but I did get a 1/12 scale Fiat Topolino that I'm going the fiberglass route with. I have scale graph cards made up for actual cars if I can find what I want to photograph. Either way, graphpaper, digital calipers, and a calculator and your in business. A lot of work, but it can be done.

Latest posts

Back