Sugar in a gas tank

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete

The receptionist at work just got here and was telling me about how someone has been putting, or trying to put sugar in her gas tank. I know the rumours and or stories of how it will blow up an engine, but don't know if it's 100% true. I could see it cloggin the injectors and making a mess of things, but can it really cause an engine to blow up? From the sounds of it, this is the third of fourth time this has happened to her, seems she maybe has ****ed off a neighbor or some punk kid in her area need to learn some respect... anywho what can happen?

Don't think sugar will cause the motor to blow but it will clog up the fuel system. Makes junk out of a carb and will probably be very expensive repairs on fuel injection. She needs a locking gas cap..

Don't think sugar will cause the motor to blow but it will clog up the fuel system. Makes junk out of a carb and will probably be very expensive repairs on fuel injection. She needs a locking gas cap..

thats what happens....
but how do you FAIL at putting sugar in a gas tank?

We had our fuel tank sugared when we lived in N. Carolina and it stopped the engine dead cold. I was out of town so my wife had it towed to a garage and they had to pull the heads and clean the fuel system completely. From what they said sugar dissolves then gels once it gets into the engine from heat. It made quite a mess.

Locking gas caps are the answer.

Don

Sugar doesn't dissolve in gasoline, both are hydrocarbons. Try it for yourself. Pour some gas in to a glass and add sugar. Shake all you want, nothing happens. If they pour enough in the tank it may plug the inlet screen or if the screen is not there any more it will go through the fuel system. All fuel injected vehicles have a screen in the tank right on the pump, most new cars that's all they have for a filter.
Locking gas caps are no answer. You can get by them usually in about 3 seconds.

Lightspeed Mike

Latest posts

Back