Suicide Axle (Springs?)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chv

Just curious what spring and widths of the spring are you all using. I have the batwings and shackles, but its looking like i need at least a 32" spring. Then need to get some pivots that will work!!

Some insight from you all would be appreciated..

You will either need to have an accurate measure of your spring perch bosses or already have your spring perches in place before you can determine what size spring you will need. Here is a guide...

how-measurespring.gif

I have all that, my axle is the 38 1/2. So they say subtract 4" that leave 34 1/2" provided that what fits to my Batwings. But with the spring pivots and shackles i have that's not going to work. I have the pete and jake style suicide bat wings. Thats why i was curious what other's have been using for the spring dimension with this type of batwings?

same proble here chv

yup same problem here...center to center on my 46 ford axle is 40"....i am calling some trailer parts places and looking for one rated for 2000lbs.....

This is what i ended up doing

061.jpg
i ENDED UP CUTTING A BRACKET THAT HELD TOGETHER 2 MOBILE HOME AXLES...THINK IT WAS CALLED A BINDER...THEN I FOUND OUT MY FORD AXLE IS FORGED STEEL AND BE EA SLY WELDED....I USED 6011 ROD..DIRT FARMER ROD...TACKED UP ONE SIDE THEN THE OTHER..THIS IS HOW IT LOOK WITH A LOAD ON IT...PERFECT ANGLE...WEN YOU MOCK UP THE BRACKETS SET IT UP SO THE SHACKLES ARE HORIZONTAL...UNDER LOAD THEY WILL DROP...NOTE TIS IS TACK WELDED..I WILL FILL ALL IT ALL UP.....THE SPRING I GOT A TRAILER SUPPLY COMPANY FOR 30 BUCKS...HAS A NICE STIFF BOUNCE...RATED FOR 2000 LBS...IN ADDITION I FEEL MUCH SAFER NOT MOUNTING IT TO THE BONES...JUST MY TAKE ON IT....AND THE SPRING IS DIRECTLY OVER THE AXLE

Suicide Spring

Please tell me the C-clamps aren't permanent? :eek: :D I think you seriously need to check into Speedway or go straight to their supplier - MAS Racing Products. You'll get the right spring for a great price! Here's the link. It'll save you some cash if you go straight to MAS. Kinda like factory direct! :D

http://www.masracing.biz/index.html

Thunder1

dude

the c clamps are permanent...NOT....THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE OF FINDING A NEW CHEAP SPRING THAT WORKS PROPERLY......DUDE I COULD HANG A SNOW PLOW FROM MY SPRING PERCH

Latest posts

Back